Is there any incentive for God to care about human beings?

Asked by: blackkid
  • It is a tad confusing

Well I have thought about this and well I wanted this question answered myself. But then I thought about parents. Is there any incentive for parents to care for their children? No, but its because they do it out of love. Using the Catholic God as an example he cares for the people because he loves them. That's the best explanation I could think of, but it seems to make sense.

• What could we possibly give to god?

God created everything in existence, humans can't even imagine what it takes to do that- so what could we possibly give to god in return for care. Humans will never return the favour of existence- that is assuming we actually enjoy to exist. But this doesn't mean that god doesn't care about us, he does so without reason.

• Why create it then?

If god had no incentive for loving something there would have been no reason to create it in the first place. Existing and not having been completely annihilated yet should tell us something. At the very least we are not hated so there is hope that a god out there may care. Whatever the reason, just existing is a show of love.

• I do not believe so:

I feel that in a sense there is a one-way connection between any given deity and mankind sort of like how there is a one-way between any of man's creations and mankind. The fact that mankind does not benefit from a relationship between themselves and what they make brings me to wonder if mankind's existence matters at all to any deity.

To be specific and to be more local to the website I will use Christianity. The Christian God theologically is perfect, loves his creations, and cares for them but what does this deity get out of mankind's reverence? That is a question that has confused me for a very long time; of all the creatures on the planet none are required to pay heed or reverence to this deity however humans are. What does God get out of the relationship with humans?

• I do not believe so:

Screwtape says that God appears to love people, but God must really be after some incentive – if only Scewtape could figure out what it is! Screwtape says that God himself has admitted that if the demons could ever understand the nature of love then the war would be over and the demons would reenter heaven victoriously! Screwtape views “love” as a front used to disguise the real incentive. God claims genuine love.

• There need no be...

There is no thought of whether or not there is an incentive for God to care for human beings. Anyone and everyone knows that... If you were to create a living being of some sort, and you saw that it was good, would you need a reason to care for it? I think not... Just alike, we are like god, and god is like us. Some of us here, are parents. When we have children, we should love them, no matter what. It is our creation, born of our blood, spared of our skin, and created of our soul, and at the freewill of our spirit. If we see it, and believe it is good, because it is us, we shall not have any other given need to love them, other than because it is good; because it is of us.

• No incentive. Just love.

God gets nothing out of people. Genuine love is not after an incentive.

For an excellent treatment of this, read C.S. Lewis’s classic book The Screwtape Letters. In that book Screwtape, a demon, says that Hell is built on one basic and obvious principle: one thing is not another thing. Specifically, my good is not your good. For you to be of any use I must get something out of you.

Screwtape says that God appears to love people, but God must really be after some incentive – if only Scewtape could figure out what it is! Screwtape says that God himself has admitted that if the demons could ever understand the nature of love then the war would be over and the demons would reenter heaven victoriously! Screwtape views “love” as a front used to disguise the real incentive. God claims genuine love. God claims to gain nothing from people and loves them selflessly.

Lewis invites to examine our own mindset to see if we line up with God or with the demons.

Juan_Pablo says2014-10-19T20:49:05.890
There actually is an incentive, and that would be intelligent companionship. Of course, if God mistreats his people, what he'll get is anger and rage directed at him, so things can get nasty for God.

However, I'm not positive that's what God is going for, since he does willingly hurt his humans, many of them innocent. And none of us live as long as he's around. So it's a very different kind of companionship, something all of us humans are unfamiliar with.
Juan_Pablo says2014-10-19T20:59:01.647
Well, I suppose we could be related to pets in way. Our pets tend not to outlive us and they do enjoy the love they receive from us, so in that way there is a pet-like relationship between God and humans. But there are also some stark differences. We don't find joy in injecting our pets will illnesses, like ebola, and we don't go around killing our pets in earthquakes, like God clearly does to us. So I guess we can be perceived as God's "pets", but also as lab animals, in way, that ARE injected with illnesses and experimental medical treatments. LOL.

Our Relationship to God is a very strange one, I think.