• In the higher moral sense there can be justice without retribution.

In the higher moral sense there can be justice without retribution.In order to achieve this justice has to be thought of as a learning process and not just as a punishment for a wrong act.A person has to know why an act is wrong and not just that they might get caught for the act.

• Yes, people can still be penalized.

There is a saying that "an eye for an eye will make the whole world blind." It is true that people should be sought out and punished for crimes, but in a good society, people can punish offenders without doing so revengefully. Removing freedom or privileges will almost always be enough to drive a lesson home.

• Yes

Because the average person does not always know every angle of “justice”, i.e. the law. Each person defines their own version of justice. While some people may believe unhealthy retribution is the answer to a bad or unlawful act, you’ll find someone else who believes there is a non violent means that dispenses justice without the need for negative, forceful action. For example: Police vs Robbers. This tells me that there can be justice without individual retribution.

I believe that justice can be found without retribution but I would be hesitant to acknowledge that every action out there doesn’t deserve thoughtful and informed conclusions on each subject. It may not always be the reward that an individual might want, but with justice- does come retribution.

• Yes, there can be justice without retribution.

To feel justified over the outcome of a situation, there's not always a need for retribution. Retribution and punishment go hand in hand. Satisfaction can be found without having to punish, justice can be served without retribution. In a case were I have been stolen from and my items are returned to me, I do not need retribution to be served upon the thief to feel justified with the outcome of the situation.

• Justice demands retribution.

Retribution is defined as "a punishment intended to 'balance the scales'". Therefore any act intended to balance the scales (including community work etc.) is retribution. Without retribution, justice doesn't occur. Take God's holy justice system. Someone has to get retribution. Either it's us in hell or Jesus on the cross. Even God's "mercy" stills requires some form of punishment. We can't have justice if we don't have some sort of punishment to balance the scales.

• Justice and Retribution go hand in hand

There is no justice without retribution. Quite simply put, the retribution aspect of justice is what people who are suffering look for. That is the punishment that the criminal receives, and it is in itself the justice. Without retribution, we would only have judicial decisions without and real action. Retribution is a staple of our judicial system.