Is there such a thing as a rational obligation, aka, an epistemic 'ought'?

Asked by: philochristos
  • There is a rational obligation.

There is a rational obligation. People have the most ridiculous irrational opinions and thoughts that I think we should develop a moral obligation to be rational. We should know that as human beings we should be obligated to be rational human beings and make rational choices. Unfortunately, this does not always happen.

• Yes, there is a thing known as a rational obligation, aka, an epistemic 'ought'?

In my opinion and through what I have learned and taught there is a thing known as a rational obligation, aka, an epistemic, "ought." Throughout history society has been facing and dealing with rational obligations like taking care of the less fortunate and feeding the poor and infirm. People who have assets are not the only earthlings on the planet and we are all related.

StevenDixon says2013-06-01T05:07:48.670
I assume you mean an objective ought, of course there are rational obligations depending on your values. If I value people it's rational I ought help them. If I like debating, it's rational I ought debate.
YouShallKnow says2013-06-01T16:09:42.477
I think what philocristos means by rational obligation is the obligation to be rational. Something like, do we ought to follow logic? To ought to follow where evidence leads? Do we ought to believe what is true? Do we ought to reject falsehood?