Is there such a thing as retirement in contemporary society?

• Retirement Still a Possibility

In contemporary society, retirement is becoming more and more difficult to achieve. It's not an impossible notion by any means, though. Millions of people retire each year because they work hard and know how to invest their money. Therefore, a person can still retire by making smart financial moves over the years.

• Yes, it is ceasing a primary occupation.

Yes, there is such a thing as retirement in contemporary society, because retirement has a definition that is still in place. Retirement is when a person stops doing what they were doing for their primary occupation. They might still find something else to do to fill their time, but they are still technically retired from their primary occupation.

• Not that I can see.

I'm 42 and had to "adjust" my career path 3 times in the past 20 years just to make ends meet.

I have no parents or social support net to speak of. The bank expects me to come up with $1M in the next 5 years to solely put into my "retirement fund" to live the remaining 20 "retirement" years of my life at near poverty level stuck inside a 70 year old apartment building.

I just wish there were more detailed explanations in the "So You've Decided to Join the Workforce!" pamphlets.

• No,there is really no such thing as retirement when it comes to contemporary society.

There is really no such thing as retirement in contemporary society.The way the economy has been going lately any kind of retirement plans are irrelevant and really unattainable.People will have to work into their 70s and 80s to survive society and pay their various bills including doctor bills and prescriptions.

• Only For The Wealthy

I do not believe there is such a thing as retirement in contemporary society. I believe employers have held wages down so low, for so long, that people are no longer able to save a proper amount for retirement. In fact, most people are forced to live pay check to pay check their entire life.

• No not really.

Retirement does not work the way it used to. Back in the day when you got to your 50s and 60s you were able to retire if you wanted to and live a better life with less stress. Now a days almost no one can afford to retire. Retirement plans have gone downhill.