Is there too much social regulation in the United States?

• My rights

My rights are given to me by God-- not man or goverment! Too many times laws are created to try and level the playing field for those less fortunate in the hopes that they're given a fighting chance in life---- in the end all they really do is create laws that slow progress, slow development as a society. Regulation is unforgiving, it does not allow for free thinking and it forces people to chained to beliefs that they do not themselves hold. Regulation is necessary to limited sense but when it serves to only continue its existence in redundant and taxing laws then it no longer serves the people's best interests-- it only serves its own

• We're heading in that direction,

many people are searching for government action in categories such as abortion, bias and discrimination towards homosexuals, bisexuals, etc, and so on. The government should not be involved in any of these actions. The government should choose who a person can marry or if a child should be aborted (even though I feel it is wrong).

• There is far too much regulation in the social area of American life.

The only proper role of government is to protect one person's rights from infringing upon another person's and enforce the laws that do so. Therefore, "victimless crimes" such as drug usage, should not be allowed. What one person chooses to do with their own body is not the government's concern. The government's job isn't to make my decisions for me; we all have te right to make bad decisions, unless they infringe on the rights of another person or group of people.

• Global Comparison

The question is not "compared to other nations, is there too much in the US...". The real question is, compared to our constitution, and the founding fathers design, and our present perspective of freedom, is there too much regulation in general (social and ottherwise)?

I think that the answer to this is a clear and resounding yes. Over regulation is something our founders went to war against- and now it is coming back in the form of taxation without representation, laws and bills that are in direct violation of our individual rights, and so on.

As a veteran and patriotic citizen, I can only express how saddened I am by all of this, as it represents an effort by those in our government to relieve us of the freedoms we historically fought so hard to obtain.

• Absolutely

More and more laws are being passed and more and more of our freedom is being compromised. We have less and less privacy. We are far from free. Anyone that looks around should plainly be able to see that.
    Now, in comparison to other countries we may have more freedoms, but the question here is not one of comparison.

Posted by: Cuzy
  • The United States has dipped into too much contradictory social regulation that does not uphold the belief in the "pursuit of life, liberty and happiness", upon which the nation was founded.

In recent years, the United States has enacted more social regulation against smoking cigarettes, using marijuana, or other personal choices that contradict the Founding Fathers stated goals for the country. Although the majority of the citizens believe in allowing gay marriage, recreational use of marijuana, and the personal choice to smoke cigarettes, the laws have become stricter on these issues at some city, state, and federal levels.

Posted by: P3nrIin
  • People should be allowed to make their own choices, and too much social regulation stifles that.

Fifty years ago, things like interracial marriage and abortion were illegal. This didn't stop mixed couples from falling in love, or women with unwanted pregnancies from ending them. Today, it's gay marriage. While we've come a long way in our acceptance of people, there are still attempts to restrict them, in the name of "the children", or other flimsy excuses.

Posted by: HumdrumMilo83
  • The United States has excessive laws that strictly regulate social behavior, such as the drinking age requirement.

A number of laws exist in the USA that govern social behavior and regulate it in the most strict form. The drinking age, which is set to 21, clearly shows that. Also, due to the huge amount of frivolous lawsuits, people are just afraid to be relaxed in their normal, natural environment.

Posted by: FiveGlen35
  • While I don't agree with everyone else's choices, I don't think they should be regulated.

One of the best pieces of advice that I've ever been given in my life was from the scriptures. It says that man should be anxiously engaged in a good cause and do many good things of their own free will and not by force. When we 'regulate' things as much as we do, socially or otherwise, in modern society it eliminates much of our freedom to make good choices and prove whether or not we are someone who can be trusted, honored and relied upon.

Posted by: MariaR
  • I say there is but it's due to us not taking responsibility

A good example of this would be the schools. Schools are supposed to be a place to learn, literally. People act like we shouldn't have to deal with the social while we're in school. For example, a kid who is being bullied is supposed to tell the teacher, then gets considered an outcast for tattle-tailing and has to deal with issues out of both the teachers and parents hands. Parents play a big role too, instead of realizing what their kid is doing or what they're doing wrong as a parent they blame everything else. If a kid gets hurt it’s the school's fault. This now results in us the people paying a 300-5000 dollar fine over a kiddy fight. I'm not promoting violence, but this also encourages kids to have fights away from school, where they can turn deadly. Another example is obesity. Parents blame the schools for not being healthy, yet they'll still buy their kids happy meals. Also, some kids need to learn to make healthy food choices on their own, some will eat unhealthy behind their parents’ backs. That is a communication issue, the school isn’t forcing a kid to eat unhealthy, and by forcing the junk food out of school you’re also punishing the kids that aren't overweight, even underweight. They matter too. Aside from school is the famous drinking, people who drink and drive blame the alcohol, then why drink and drive? Obviously it isn’t the alcohol but you for choosing to drink knowing it will impair you’re driving. Not enough? People who drink have the tendency to cheat, why? Because they feel they can blame the alcohol and it isn’t their fault. Once again, it stills your fault you should be aware of how you are when you drink. So once again we pay for people who can't take responsibility, in this example can't handle alcohol. And I do mean pay literally, not just with our freedom but our taxes too to enforce these kinds of laws. What makes it funny though is even though we pay to have these laws enforced we pay double with fines and citations.

• "Social regulation- Regulation is concerned with the conditions under which goods are produced, their physical characteristics, and the impact of their production on society"

If using the true definition of social regulation I feel that there is not enough in the United States. Social regulation is meant to protect us from ourselves in a way. Not by banning rights and enforcing policies, but rather that requiring safety and information. Social regulation is governed by agencies such as OSHA and the FDA. It has nothing to do with social behavior. I for one would argue decreasing the amount of influence these agencies have. I can think of numerous occasions where they have potentially saved thousands if not millions of lives. For example does anyone remember a few years ago when they took all the Motrin, Advil, and generic ibuprofen off the shelves? I do, it was because there was a contaminated something or other that had been found in a quality test required by the FDA. Has anyone ever injured themselves at work, and had to have first aid, from the kit on the wall, you know the one that OSHA required they have? How about the water contamination that just happened in WV where 5 counties had their water suppl contaminated by chemicals, the EPA supplied bottled water and is leading the clean-up. Do you have a food allergy that requires you to check the ingredients on the side of the box of cereal you buy? FDA again. Ever purchased your child a toy, only to have it recalled because when it was made in some foreign county they painted it with lead based paint? CPSC. These are just a few examples of how true social regulation helps to protect the citizens of this nation.

Now imagine if none of these agencies existed.

• No there is not

In the first place, the United States does not have enough social regulation. What's more, there is an increased lack of social regulation in the United States as kids can be bullied and are supposed to tell the teacher about it but they end up being ostracized by the teacher as well.

• There is not an excess of social regulation in the United States, and it should stay that way, since we are a free nation.

Freedom of thought, speech, expression, and religion are integral values to the citizens of the United States of America, and we live in a society that embraces these freedoms. While some social regulation is necessary to ensure everyone has their rights to privacy and property respected, these social rules are not so restrictive as to be oppressive.

Posted by: FlakyHerb64
  • No, take a look around.

America, or the United States, tries very hard to not step on people's toes. They try not to cross that boundary of personal territory. They attempt to let people live as they well, until a crisis is in the making. Then, regulation is enforced. People were allowed to smoke, basically, where and whenever they wanted ... until the tobacco companies got sued and a lot of scary information was released about the effects of first and second hand smoke. Now, you can hardly smoke anywhere in public. But, you can still smoke everywhere else. My point is, as dangerous as a cigarette is believed to be, you can still smoke one in the United States. You just have to do it in the right place. You can still drink in the United States. You can marry who you want, same sex or not. You can wear what you want, as long as you wear something. I do think that the United States makes attempts to regulate society, keep order. But, I don't think that what they do is too much.

Posted by: gnorknik
  • No, I think, in comparison to other countries, Americans have a good level of social regulation.

I can only think of smoking laws and seat belt laws as examples of the government intruding on my personal life, so that is not bad.

Posted by: tabundes
  • I think that there is not too much social regulation in the United States because we have our rights given to us by the Constitution that the government cannot deny us, such as freedom of speech.

I do not believe there is too much social regulation in the United States. I think that laws have been put into place for a reason and people can still live an eventful, fulfilling, and enjoyable life with the social regulations that have been enacted now. Sure we cannot drink and drive, or smoke marijuana, but it's for a good reason. We still have our basic rights - freedom of speech, freedom to protest, etc. - that we can enjoy and take advantage of.

Posted by: F4rrIess
  • No, there's not enough.

I don't want to live in a police state, but I think that things have gotten kind of out of hand in some areas of society. And, in an effort to be fair to everyone, there is little that the government can do for a person who feels threatened or insulted by someone else's behavior. For instance, in some states you can't buy liquor after nine at the store, two a.m. at the bar and never on Sunday. But, this hasn't decreased the number of drunk driving instances or fatalities. At the same time, the cops can't pull over everyone who is leaving the club and perform a breathalyzer on them because, basically, it wouldn't be pc. But, shouldn't they be able to do more in an effort to possibly save someone's life. If someone has AIDS, and has intentions of infecting unsuspecting individuals, shouldn't there be measures that can be taken right away - before he infects someone.

Posted by: MohaI0v35
  • I don't think that there is too much social regulation in the USA. The regulations at present are liberal enough and good for a secured society.

Every society needs some bindings and regulations to protect it from itself, that is to deter it's problem makers from causing harm to others. With the social crime rate in the USA in mind, it is hard to believe that there is even enough social regulations there.

Posted by: SocialGalv
  • There is not enough social regulation in the US; some issues are being completely ignored.

Some issues involving social regulation have uneven coverage, depending on the state. In Massachusetts, low-level employees have no working rights, and can be fired without just cause, leading to problems collecting unemployment. There are still (in my opinion) civil rights violations happening in schools, such as the recent case of a school in Mississippi banning the student prom because a lesbian student wanted to bring her female date. Too much emphasis is placed on censorship (such as nudity or profanity on TV), rather than real, social issues that are causing problems.

Posted by: R053Neddy