Is ticket scalping legitimate or should it be banned?

• Ticket Scalping is Legitimate Capitalism

Capitalism is largely based upon the concept of buying and selling commodities. It does not matter what those commodities are. Buying and selling tickets for shows is no different than buying and selling food, kitchen appliances, or cars.

You do not have a right to cheap entertainment. End of story. The only reason that individuals are left with no alternatives to Ticket Scalpers, is because they were negligent and didn't order face-value tickets from the venue before they were sold out. If the fans of these shows are so dedicated, and so entitled to cheap seats, then the logic follows that they would be diligent and purchase their tickets in advance. When you make the -choice- to be negligent and wait for the tickets to sell out, you are then placing yourself at the mercy of the enterprising individuals who made the -choice- to buy tickets early on.

Complaining that you deserve cheap tickets because you're a true fan of a particular performance act is a bit like complaining that caviar is too expensive because you think it's really tasty.

• Ticket scalping is legitimate.

I do believe that ticket scalping is legitimate. It is a way for a person to make money. Also it saves consumers money. They do this by buying greatly reduced tickets. The company the tickets are being sold for are still profiting. It seems like a situation where everyone wins. From the large company all the way down to the little person.

Posted by: barbiegirll
  • Ticket scalping should be banned because, sometimes, it leads to criminal activity that is associated with violence.

Ticket scalping should be banned because, sometimes, it leads to criminal activity that is associated with violence. I can understand legitimate companies buying tickets and selling them for a reasonable profit. But when you have some Joe Blow on the street who is buying them and selling them for 2 to 300 percent above fair market value, then it leads to violent activity and possibly crimes, such as robbery, assault, and battery. Then again, you have some scalpers who are able to duplicate fraudulent tickets and basically sell people tickets that are in no way refundable that are useless.

Posted by: SlipArnal
  • Of course it's not okay

Why exploit fans that want to get close to their favorite band? These scalpers just buy up good tickets to oversell to dedicated fans... Who does that benefit? The scalpers' pockets and takes away from the tickets that could be more affordable and more available to those that actually want to attend the concert...

• Free enterprise

My aggravation over not being able to get good concert tickets at a fair price is slightly outweighed by the right to free enterprise on a legal basis. However, ethically I feel that the justification ( If someone is willing to pay more why not) as it applies to event tickets is not the end of the world but ask yourself this, what if the item was food or medicine or shelter. As a matter of argument for the free enterprise someone could start a ticket broker business and charge less, fostering competition.

• I think ticket scalping is legitimate, on an individual basis, but should be banned on a commercial level.

I do not believe that companies should be able to use their superior resources to buy a majority of tickets and set their own prices on them. But, at the same time, I do believe that individuals have a right to resell their own tickets for market value, if they cannot attend an event.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • Ticket scalping is totally fine in my books, because it's fair business.

If I bought something, and could sell it to someone for much more money than I purchased it for, its totally legal. There is no reason that ticket sales should not be grouped into this same category. If you have a legal product, and there is a market for it, by all means, get the most money you can for your product.

Posted by: R04chGrov
  • It's a risk

Like anything else in life. They provide the opportunity for people who want to go who didn't get tickets for an extra price.
    I think worrying about someone buying and selling tickets over other things like big corporate businesses is pretty sad. Everyone is trying to make a buck some way or another in this world that is becoming harder and harder to live in.

• Yes, ticket scalping should be legitimate because making a profit on goods or services is the American way and to the rich go the spoils.

If someone purchases an item for X amount of dollars and the value of that item soars for whatever reason within the next year or two, should that individual be allowed to sell the item at a profit? Of course! The same holds true for ticket scalpers, even if the price of their item soars within only a few days due to an event becoming sold out. Whether or not the practice is morally right is beside the point. From a legal standpoint, ticket scalping is perfectly justifiable. Just as with stocks, while there may be signs that the tickets are going to increase in value, there are no guarantees, so the scalper is taking a risk in purchasing them, however minimal. During an extended power outage, say, from a snowstorm, backup generators are at a premium. If stores are sold out, should you be allowed to sell yours at a profit? Again, the answer is a resounding yes! The same applies to ticket scalping, no matter how unfair it may seem.

Posted by: GrandioseFrank59
  • Don't ban it. Eliminate the need.

There IS a solution, if the ticket sellers and entertainers ever decide that they want one.

Sell tickets using a variation of a Dutch Auction. A traditional Dutch Auction (which starts with a high acceptable bid and drops until the sale) generally sets the price for ALL items at the highest bid price.

What I propose instead is a multi-price, multi-sale, online version of a “Dutch Auction.” Start at a very high price. Then drop the ticket price in announced increments at scheduled times, and people can make the purchase when the price reaches their acceptable level — IF any tickets are left.

EXAMPLE: 10,000 concert tickets. The sale would be online — Live Nation, eBay, the entertainer's own website, or whatever. Start with a (say) $3,000 ticket price. Then drop the price (say) $25 every 15 minutest until there are no tickets left. The number of tickets sold and the number remaining would be posted in real time. People could put in “limit” buy orders — again online. EBay is a fine model for this.

The result would be an exciting, highly publicized process where bidders would try to figure out how little they could pay, yet want to be sure they got tickets.

As I see it, this would maximize profits, and largely eliminate the widely-disliked scalping system (except for a few late buyers — a very small, specialized, and necessary market). It also eliminates the need to pre-price all the tickets — a system that almost guarantees that the tickets will be either over or under-priced.

If the concert producers and artists want to appear "fair," they can give away all or a percentage of the “extra” proceeds (say, above $400 a ticket) to charity. Of course, the performer and concert producers define what’s “extra.” And they generate positive publicity while increasing their profits at the scalpers' expense.

Offhand I can’t find a specific label for my variation. Henceforth let it be known as a “Rider Auction.” Unlike the sensitive Dutch, I won’t be offended.

• Ticket scalping is not legitimate and it should be banned.

Ticket scalping is not legitimate and it should be banned because it is driven by greed and people who want something for nothing. This is a major problem with our economy. Ticket scalping is just the tip of the iceberg. Speculators caused the housing bubble to break because they were out for a quick profit. When people elect to not work for gain, but to trick others for gain, there will always be a victim, which is morally wrong.

Posted by: JamieM
  • Ticket scalping is not a legitimate business.

Ticket scalping is not a legitimate business and it hurts the entertainment business. Ticket sclapers buy tickets that otherwise would go to fans, and then sell them at ridiculously high prices. This makes the tickets unattainable to many people. The sclapers also create an uncomfortable environment at the entertainment venue, trying to sell tickets. They pester the fans and at times make the area feel unsafe.

Posted by: EImerN4th
  • Although this is not a yes or no question, I feel that scalping should not be banned.

Scalping really doesn't seem all that different than buying and selling anything else for a profit, the ones who lose are the big corporations behind ticket sales and they are probably the ones most vocally against scalping. Gone are the days when people can afford tickets to start with but if people are desperate enough to pay huge amounts to see an event, then why not?

Posted by: 54IInferno
  • Ticket scalping should be banned because it is nothing more than price gouging.

The practice of ticket scalping should be banned because it is little more than price gouging to take advantage of those willing and able to pay a higher price for entrance to a specific event. Ticket scalpers purchase large blocks of tickets to popular events making access to the general public diminished, and results in those seeking a ticket to have to buy from scalpers or miss the event entirely.

Posted by: ThegaXen
  • I do not believe ticket scalping should be legal. Electronic ticket sales make it too easy for unscrupulous people or organizations to buy multiple tickets.

I understand that sometimes people might have an extra ticket or two that they want to sell and in that case by all means sell it on Craigslist, EBay or even around the entrance. However when people buy up tickets in bulk for popular events with the intention of doubling the face value for resale then regular fans are prevented from buying their own tickets at a reasonable price. This needs to be prevented at all costs.

Posted by: Chr0Iviobile
  • I think that ticket scalping should be banned.

I think that ticket scalping should be banned. Ticket scalping has evolved into a practice where tickets are sold out for a concert or event so consumers have no choice but to go to scalpers, who then charge unbelievable prices. Because of this, the true fans of the stars are unable to enjoy their shows. I think that ticket scalping needs to be banned so that people can enjoy the arts rather than focus on the profits for charging exorbitant rates.

Posted by: ObaICheese
  • Ticket scalping should not be banned.

There are too many people in this world who are willing to purchase tickets way above face value. I do not see anything wrong with people taking advantage of that fact for profit. Those who scalp the tickets are in a business in which there are risk involved. The investment the scalpers make is upfront and there is no guarantee that they are going to sell those tickets for a profit. There is no difference between ticket scalpers and the retail stores we shop every day. The items are purchased at one price and than sold for profit. If there was not the market for such a high priced ticket out there then we would not have scalpers but obviously the market is there.

Posted by: w00tboycomic
  • Have you ever been in that situation?

Ticket scalpers know they can get an astronomical amount of money for some tickets and they do just that, but in the process cheat out deserving fans who were hoping to get some reasonably priced tickets to see someone who they really like, now scalpers offer these tickets for over five or ten times the original price and it isn't fair to the fans who want to see a show. Scalping should be banned. Put yourself in the situation of a fan who wants to see their favorite person or band perform instead of a person who just wants to make money. That's what jobs are for not scheming and cheating.

• I am against a scalping ban because it's private initiative- and that is what the USA is built on.

Ticket scalping is already illegal nearly everywhere, and yet the practice is still widespread. I think it's one of those issues where there's "No harm no foul"- the scalper almost assuredly got his tickets through legitimate channels, so the event manager is not hurt. And that scalper SHOULD be free to resell his tickets if he sees fit.

Posted by: tabundes
  • I don't think ticket scalping should be banned.

Honestly, good for them. They bought the product, and people want it. So they sell to those people. It might not be the best way to go about it, but it's not the end of the world. It isn't something that I'd personally do, but more power to them. Who am I to change it?

Posted by: Qu4ntBenj

RusFM says2015-01-28T11:09:47.647
How can I vote on such an ambiguous question? Am I saying Yes or No to "is scalping legitimate" or to "should it be banned". Who set this post up?