• Tom Cruise is the best actor of his generation.

I just think Tom Cruise has made more great movies than anyone else in Hollywood. Naysayers toss out names like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Edward Norton, and Daniel Day-Lewis -- all damn fine actors, but you can combine all their classic films and they still won't add up to the ridiculous body of work Tom Cruise has put together.

Oh, and just to be clear, most of these are pre-couch Cruise. He lost his mind and his talent the minute he bounced up and down like a giddy, crazy schoolgirl on Oprah. Talking post-couch Cruise is like talking post-text Tiger. It's just not fair.

So here are 18 pre-couch reasons why Tom Cruise is the best actor of the last 30 years. Please be open-minded as you read ahead. Don't be afraid to admit some things about yourself as this list opens your eyes to the big, bright light you've been drawn toward since you were in grade school. His glow is so bright, in fact, you've been blinded. Let me remove the glare:

Taps: A remarkable introduction into Hollywood for the young actor playing a military schoolboy.
    The Outsiders: Oh yeah, you forgot he was in that classic coming-of-age story, didn't you? Well, he was. And he wore a lot of sleeveless denim shirts. And if you try to tell me you haven't seen that movie at least five times, or that you didn't cry when Macchio died right after telling Pony Boy to stay gold, you're lying.
    Risky Business: A young Cruise slides across his parents' hardwood floor in nothing but an oxford shirt, socks, and tighty whities. And a star is born.
    All the Right Moves: Come on, it's just a good, solid movie -- that you've seen seven times on cable.
    Top Gun: Mav 'n' Goose. Kenny Loggins. Shirtless volleyball scene. Biggest hit of the '80s. Enough said.
    The Color of Money: His black T-shirt simply said "Vince." Because that was his name. Let it not be forgotten that Cruise overshadows another great, Paul Newman, throughout the film.
    Cocktail: Seriously? Yes. Why? Because you've seen it nine times. And if it came on A&E Classics tonight, you'd watch it again.
    Rain Man: Dustin Hoffman got the Oscar on this one, but it was Cruise's subtle, powerful acting that allowed Hoffman to give his last great performance. Since then, Hoffman has been a bust. Coincidence? I think not.
    Born on the Fourth of July: Shattering the pretty-boy image, Cruise ages himself and gets out of shape, bald, and paralyzed for this tour-de-force role as a Vietnam vet. Cruise gets his first Oscar nomination, and the movie is nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.

• "Good" doesn't come close to do him justice.

I feel no shame in saying Tom Cruise is one of the all-time greats, among such amazing actors as Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro, and Gary Oldman. He can play so many roles, and has been doing so for such a long time. Although he's a bit eccentric in real life, it doesn't take away from his brilliance. And yes, he's done some bad films. But those are but minor speed bumps on a highway of greatness. Let's take a look at his record.

> Magnolia
    > Jerry Maguire
    > A Few Good Men
    > Risky Business
    > Minority Report
    > Mission Impossible 1, 3, & 4
    > Bourn on the Fourth of July
    > The Last Samurai
    > Collateral
    > Top Gun
    > Jack Reacher
    > Rain Man
    > Eyes Wide Shut

I'm sorry, but if you think Tom Cruise is a bad actor because he did Cocktail, you're wrong. It's not a matter of opinion, It's not a debatable topic. He's a great actor, and that's that.

• Constantly surprising us.

Let me be clear: I do not support such hyperbolic statements as "Tom Cruise is the best actor of his generation. " I'm not sure who that would be, But Michael Keaton is a little older and Leo DiCaprio is a little younger, And I think both transcend Tom's talents. Denzel Washington is close to Cruise in age, And he is one of our best living actors period. Where Cruise really makes his mark is in meeting every challenge he is given with utter commitment, And constantly being better than we expect him to be. He has his default role: charmingly arrogant upstart with something to prove. It's a little Vince Vaughn-ey, Fine but not exemplary. But, Give him something like Born on the Fourth of July, And he hits it out of the park. Anne Rice was certain he couldn't play Lestat, But he brought such nuance and subtle evil to the role that she was converted, And even taped a personal message to her fans saying so. Magnolia was a revelation. At this point, We have to admit that Cruise - hardly seen as a poster boy for versatility - is actually surprisingly versatile. Nobody would have thought of him as a villain before Collateral, But after Collateral no one is surprised to see him on lists of the best all time screen villains. I just re-watched Mission Impossible III, And there is a scene where he believes his wife is about to die. That scene should be studied in acting classes. Is he "brilliant? " I am not sure. Better than other actors of his generation? Some yes, Some no. What he is for certain is completely reliable as a tradesman of his craft. If he's hired for a project, You can be sure you're getting his best. And it's worth marveling sometimes just how damn good his best can be.

• He's the greatest

Tom Cruise is so good, it's easy to take his performances for granted. It seems like he's always playing himself because in all his movies, there is never an instant where it seems like he's acting. I am completely engaged 100% of the time he's on screen. Actually, I feel like what is happening to him is happening to me, which I think is the best measure of an actor.

• He's the greatest

• Yes he's good

And there have been flashes of greatness(born on fourth of July, collateral, and a few good men) but he never consistently got to that level as other greats have, for whatever reason (idk, could be debated) and that is somewhat sad. I doubt he's too sad though considering all the money he's made. Hes like the acting version of jay z, who also could have been great but chose money and EASY over critically acclaimed and difficult

• Yes he's good

• He is one of the best actors of this generation.

A lot of people blame the actor for the sum rather than the parts. Or vice versa. That is because unlike critics and reviewers, it is not the audience's job to watch the movie. We trust the stars. That includes every known name that we buy tickets for. Whether it be a hulk or a Hanks. Over the space of the last 10 odd years that I have started paying serious attention to movies by Mr. Cruise, I realize that he is an all rounder. He is great to look at. Compared to him, we all look a bit like potatoes. To all the people who are in the galleries shouting, PLASTIC SURGERY, I say LOPSIDED BREASTS. He invested in his looks and the may I say good call! He is not one for historical accuracy of a script or far fetched logic free stunts and action scenes. I give you that but give me a great movie that shows all sides of a coin. GANDHI arguably is one of the best biopics to come out ever and even that conveniently glossed over a lot of thorns. Does not everybody tweak history a bit for story? I also believe too much criticism has been heaped on tom cruise about his religion and love life. Just because he is in the public domain! That does not make him a bad actor. And never public property!
    It just makes him human. Take those out of the equation and you will find a capable actor who was able to keep up with Ken Watanabe and Jack Nicholson. I do not shy away from saying that many of his worst movies are better than the best of many.

• Resume of one of the top ten Greatest Actor.

All of the greatest people in different professions, including acting, exhibit unique characteristics or eccentrics, which drive them to accomplish what we normal humans hesitate from crossing that divide. Tom Cruise's resume is self-evident and demonstrates unequivocally, of his dedication, his preparation, training, passion, the intensity, the will-power, drive to excel and his in-depth study to immerse himself in whatever role, he plays. And the many roles, he has played, is extraordinary. To cut to the chase, this is a Living Legend with whom, we have yet to see his complete works. Mena, Top Gun 2, Edge of Tomorrow 2, MI 6, and Jack Reacher 2 are but some films to be accounted for. We have yet to see the best of Cruise. Bring it on. Go Cruise Go.

• YES, Tom Cruise IS A BRILLIANT ACTOR!!

Man oh Man do I get sick and tired of people trying to say something is wrong with Tom Cruise personally, YOU DO NOT KNOW HIM. Let's just judge his acting okay?!! Collateral, A Few Good Men, Born On The 4th of July, Magnolia, Jack Reacher and all of his MI movies. Sit down and watch these films and you will have to agree that this man can ACT and act BRILLIANTLY!! Peace out.

• No talent at all.

Tom cruise is an egotistical show pony with no talent at all, he has proven time and time again that he is incapable of loving anyone more than he loves him self. A talented actor makes the movie , but with tom cruise its the movie that makes the actor. He will only take rolls in movies that would be block busters and win awards even if the lead actor was crap. A talented actor can take a crap movie and make it look good. But as tom cruise has no talent what so ever, the church of Scientology makes sure he is only placed in rolls that makes him look good. Come on he got so excited and up himself that he dry humped Oprah's couch on tv, what else needs to be said. But to his advantage there are still a lot of woman out there with such low self esteem they would give anything to spend 5 minutes with him.

• Lacks necessary depth

I've enjoyed many of his movies and have enjoyed him in a few as well. But when comparing his body of work, his spatial range of work generally lacks the depth to call him a good actor, especially his more recent works. I'd like to see him in more challenging roles as he ages rather than the same regenerated persona.

• He just always looks and acts like Tom Cruise

He has a brand, I guess and it works really well. But I would never see a film just because he was in it because I like a little bit of surprise in an actor's performance. He seems flat somehow. To give him justice, he knows what to do with what he's got.

• Tom Cruise only plays Tom Cruise

I suppose I have only seen about half of Cruise's film output but I've seen all of the blockbusters and most of the "small" ones. In not one role have I ever believed that the character was anyone other than Tom Cruise playing make-believe. He has never taken me into a character to the point where I am not aware that I am watching a movie and not engrossed in a story.

• Tom Cruise Is A LIMITED ACTOR.

Tom Cruise is an extremely successful movie star BUT not a gifted actor.He can only give life to arrogant and charismatic characters.Check his movies from Taps in 1981 to American Made in 2017. He only plays the same character known with a persona of arrogance and charisma IN ALL HIS FILMS throughout his career.

• Tom Cruise Is a LIMITED ACTOR.

Tom Cruise has had the same role for the last three decades in terms of persona for the last three decades from Taps in 1981 to American Made in 2017. He can only give life to arrogant and charismatic characters. He has limited acting talent. He is just an extremely successful movie star.

• Can't act worth crap

I have watched a few movies and to me he has ruined them all. I stopped watching anything he has been in. His acting is dull and weak. If he dies in a movie I would just laugh and laugh even if it was not funny. Just think of him getting shot in the last Samurai. Dude you just got shot by a Gatling gun and you still on your feet thats BS that gun would have blown him on his butt. Operation Valkrie He was killed in a firing squad he was shot from the front this nerd falls to the side. How is that possible.

• No. No. No.

His son Jimothy is much more engaged, inspired, and committed to the acting role. I feel sympathy for him considering his father is from the Planet of the Apes. Twenty one words are requireugdytunfh to type this so I am going to type twenty one words okay sound good okay.

• Tom cruise is shit

Don't need a supporting argument Tom cruise has never been a good actor. Has just been in movies with a good marketing team and that are able to sell box office tickets. Also was in cocktail, and had too much plastic surgery and is off with the Scientology fairies, really hard to take serious someone who believes that shit. Also has AIDS, a small dick, is a closet homosexual, smells funny, is old as shit and can just fuck off and die

• Don't confuse actor and role

While he has had a few decent performances, by and large all of Cruise's roles have been about the actor and not the role. Choice of role is important as it can be used to demonstrate a breadth of ability that is frankly lacking in this case. In every performance, there is little doubt that you are watching the Cruise show. Compare that with, say, Tim Curry. Yes, there are many roles that you will recognize him in, but if you dig through his career, you will most likely be surprised that you saw him in a role and were unaware it was him. For a direct comparison between the two watch Legend. Yes, it was a bit cheesy, but you should get a sense of what acting is and isn't by comparing the two.