• Tom Cruise is the best actor of his generation.

I just think Tom Cruise has made more great movies than anyone else in Hollywood. Naysayers toss out names like Philip Seymour Hoffman, Edward Norton, and Daniel Day-Lewis -- all damn fine actors, but you can combine all their classic films and they still won't add up to the ridiculous body of work Tom Cruise has put together.

Oh, and just to be clear, most of these are pre-couch Cruise. He lost his mind and his talent the minute he bounced up and down like a giddy, crazy schoolgirl on Oprah. Talking post-couch Cruise is like talking post-text Tiger. It's just not fair.

So here are 18 pre-couch reasons why Tom Cruise is the best actor of the last 30 years. Please be open-minded as you read ahead. Don't be afraid to admit some things about yourself as this list opens your eyes to the big, bright light you've been drawn toward since you were in grade school. His glow is so bright, in fact, you've been blinded. Let me remove the glare:

Taps: A remarkable introduction into Hollywood for the young actor playing a military schoolboy.
    The Outsiders: Oh yeah, you forgot he was in that classic coming-of-age story, didn't you? Well, he was. And he wore a lot of sleeveless denim shirts. And if you try to tell me you haven't seen that movie at least five times, or that you didn't cry when Macchio died right after telling Pony Boy to stay gold, you're lying.
    Risky Business: A young Cruise slides across his parents' hardwood floor in nothing but an oxford shirt, socks, and tighty whities. And a star is born.
    All the Right Moves: Come on, it's just a good, solid movie -- that you've seen seven times on cable.
    Top Gun: Mav 'n' Goose. Kenny Loggins. Shirtless volleyball scene. Biggest hit of the '80s. Enough said.
    The Color of Money: His black T-shirt simply said "Vince." Because that was his name. Let it not be forgotten that Cruise overshadows another great, Paul Newman, throughout the film.
    Cocktail: Seriously? Yes. Why? Because you've seen it nine times. And if it came on A&E Classics tonight, you'd watch it again.
    Rain Man: Dustin Hoffman got the Oscar on this one, but it was Cruise's subtle, powerful acting that allowed Hoffman to give his last great performance. Since then, Hoffman has been a bust. Coincidence? I think not.
    Born on the Fourth of July: Shattering the pretty-boy image, Cruise ages himself and gets out of shape, bald, and paralyzed for this tour-de-force role as a Vietnam vet. Cruise gets his first Oscar nomination, and the movie is nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.

• "Good" doesn't come close to do him justice.

I feel no shame in saying Tom Cruise is one of the all-time greats, among such amazing actors as Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro, and Gary Oldman. He can play so many roles, and has been doing so for such a long time. Although he's a bit eccentric in real life, it doesn't take away from his brilliance. And yes, he's done some bad films. But those are but minor speed bumps on a highway of greatness. Let's take a look at his record.

> Magnolia
    > Jerry Maguire
    > A Few Good Men
    > Risky Business
    > Minority Report
    > Mission Impossible 1, 3, & 4
    > Bourn on the Fourth of July
    > The Last Samurai
    > Collateral
    > Top Gun
    > Jack Reacher
    > Rain Man
    > Eyes Wide Shut

I'm sorry, but if you think Tom Cruise is a bad actor because he did Cocktail, you're wrong. It's not a matter of opinion, It's not a debatable topic. He's a great actor, and that's that.

• He's the greatest

Tom Cruise is so good, it's easy to take his performances for granted. It seems like he's always playing himself because in all his movies, there is never an instant where it seems like he's acting. I am completely engaged 100% of the time he's on screen. Actually, I feel like what is happening to him is happening to me, which I think is the best measure of an actor.

• He's the greatest

• Yes he's good

And there have been flashes of greatness(born on fourth of July, collateral, and a few good men) but he never consistently got to that level as other greats have, for whatever reason (idk, could be debated) and that is somewhat sad. I doubt he's too sad though considering all the money he's made. Hes like the acting version of jay z, who also could have been great but chose money and EASY over critically acclaimed and difficult

• Yes he's good

• He is one of the best actors of this generation.

A lot of people blame the actor for the sum rather than the parts. Or vice versa. That is because unlike critics and reviewers, it is not the audience's job to watch the movie. We trust the stars. That includes every known name that we buy tickets for. Whether it be a hulk or a Hanks. Over the space of the last 10 odd years that I have started paying serious attention to movies by Mr. Cruise, I realize that he is an all rounder. He is great to look at. Compared to him, we all look a bit like potatoes. To all the people who are in the galleries shouting, PLASTIC SURGERY, I say LOPSIDED BREASTS. He invested in his looks and the may I say good call! He is not one for historical accuracy of a script or far fetched logic free stunts and action scenes. I give you that but give me a great movie that shows all sides of a coin. GANDHI arguably is one of the best biopics to come out ever and even that conveniently glossed over a lot of thorns. Does not everybody tweak history a bit for story? I also believe too much criticism has been heaped on tom cruise about his religion and love life. Just because he is in the public domain! That does not make him a bad actor. And never public property!
    It just makes him human. Take those out of the equation and you will find a capable actor who was able to keep up with Ken Watanabe and Jack Nicholson. I do not shy away from saying that many of his worst movies are better than the best of many.

• Resume of one of the top ten Greatest Actor.

All of the greatest people in different professions, including acting, exhibit unique characteristics or eccentrics, which drive them to accomplish what we normal humans hesitate from crossing that divide. Tom Cruise's resume is self-evident and demonstrates unequivocally, of his dedication, his preparation, training, passion, the intensity, the will-power, drive to excel and his in-depth study to immerse himself in whatever role, he plays. And the many roles, he has played, is extraordinary. To cut to the chase, this is a Living Legend with whom, we have yet to see his complete works. Mena, Top Gun 2, Edge of Tomorrow 2, MI 6, and Jack Reacher 2 are but some films to be accounted for. We have yet to see the best of Cruise. Bring it on. Go Cruise Go.

• YES, Tom Cruise IS A BRILLIANT ACTOR!!

Man oh Man do I get sick and tired of people trying to say something is wrong with Tom Cruise personally, YOU DO NOT KNOW HIM. Let's just judge his acting okay?!! Collateral, A Few Good Men, Born On The 4th of July, Magnolia, Jack Reacher and all of his MI movies. Sit down and watch these films and you will have to agree that this man can ACT and act BRILLIANTLY!! Peace out.

• No. No. No.

His son Jimothy is much more engaged, inspired, and committed to the acting role. I feel sympathy for him considering his father is from the Planet of the Apes. Twenty one words are requireugdytunfh to type this so I am going to type twenty one words okay sound good okay.

• Tom cruise is shit

Don't need a supporting argument Tom cruise has never been a good actor. Has just been in movies with a good marketing team and that are able to sell box office tickets. Also was in cocktail, and had too much plastic surgery and is off with the Scientology fairies, really hard to take serious someone who believes that shit. Also has AIDS, a small dick, is a closet homosexual, smells funny, is old as shit and can just fuck off and die

• Don't confuse actor and role

While he has had a few decent performances, by and large all of Cruise's roles have been about the actor and not the role. Choice of role is important as it can be used to demonstrate a breadth of ability that is frankly lacking in this case. In every performance, there is little doubt that you are watching the Cruise show. Compare that with, say, Tim Curry. Yes, there are many roles that you will recognize him in, but if you dig through his career, you will most likely be surprised that you saw him in a role and were unaware it was him. For a direct comparison between the two watch Legend. Yes, it was a bit cheesy, but you should get a sense of what acting is and isn't by comparing the two.

• He's an actor

The only movie I have watched of his where I wasn't conscious I was continually watching Tom Cruise (instead of the character) is Born on the Fourth of July. I think having to work in a wheelchair made him act. Given he has made so many movies, one successful role does not make him a good actor. He's an actor with an ego that prevents him from being good. There are scenes in some other movies where he is convincing and then, there he is again "acting".

• No comparison sorry

Daniel Day Lewis - THAT is an actor (EVERYTHING HE'S BEEN IN) - Philip Seymour Hoffman (Truman) THAT is an actor - Heath Ledger THAT is an actor - Tom Cruise is Tom Cruise - that's about it - power, yup - BIG talent? NOPE - he runs well though

• Lacks versatility and is often overshadowed by strong supporting casts

Is (was) Tom Cruise a "bad" actor... No but he was not even close to being on the level of John C Reilly throughout Magnolia, nor does he out act Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man, hell, even Cuba Gooding Jr outperformed him in Jerry Maguire. His most nuanced roll by far has been his foray into "arthouse" film when he played Dr. William Harford in Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut, which can mainly be attributed to Kubrick's capacity at elevating his actors performances. In Collateral he did an ok job but failed to delve into the depth of Vincent's sombreness (Benicio Del Toro would have nailed it). So to argue that he is one of the greatest is asinine he both lacks the consistency and talent of a Di Caprio, Deniro, Brando, or Hanks and he's not even close. His best performance can't even touch most of the elites performances. Being able to act and being able to get people in theatres to see your movies are two completely different skills. Cruise has that second part down for sure but popularity and skill in the world of cinema are two almost mutually exclusive things. Most people don't even know who Daniel Day-Lewis and he is one of the finest actors of all-time... If Cruise is such a great actor why wasn't he the lead role in There will be blood... Or sticking to the premise that we are going pre-couch my left foot? The simple answer is he can't. His skill set is too limited for him to basically make or break a movie. Honestly would anyone sit through a movie that is 150 minutes and has Cruise on screen for 130 of those? Didn't think so.

• The Gregory Peck of our time!

Lifeless, boring, no charisma .. What´s to like? He hasn´t done anything a brigade of other actors could as well, or a lot better! He´s perfectly at home in numbless features, that demands nothing but a smile, and white teeth, like "Top Gun and "Cocktail". Thought he was good in "Taps" (his debut i think), and that´s that!

• A great actor inhabits a role so completely, you forget who they really are.

But Tom Cruise is always Tom Cruise. Doesn't matter what movie, what character....He's just Tom Cruise. I always see him as Tom Cruise. I hear Tom Cruise's voice. He does not BECOME his characters. Some examples of the kind of talent to which I refer: Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow; Joaquin Phoenix as Johnny Cash (or as the emperor in Gladiator); Edward Norton as Derek Vineyard. Now THOSE were great performances, the likes of which Tom Cruise has never and will never achieve.

• Watch Tom Cruise playing Tom Cruise in [Movie TItle]!

There are some roles that are so iconic that you can't possibly imagine any other actor playing it. Pacino IS Michael Corleone. Nicholson IS Jack Torrance. Heath Ledger IS The Joker. Hell, RDJ IS Tony Stark. But I can't think of a single Tom Cruise movie where he captured a character so well that we can say he owns the role. This is not to say that he hasn't starred in some great movies. Born on the 4th of July earns high marks across the board, and Cruise was entirely watchable in it. But that shouldn't take away from the fact that many roles are written specifically for him and his type of treatment to characters. The only time I was ever surprised by Tom Cruise was his cameo in Tropic Thunder. That was his best role to date, and that certainly tells you something when 10 minutes of screentime in a surprise supporting role represents his best work across a career spanning decades.

• Well it all started as a "Risky Business"

Over actor, Check. Tom personality imposed characters, Check.
    Popularity with women, Check (large viewing percentage). Great scripts, Check. Emotionless acting, Check.
    One of the few male actors who's stage presence I find so annoying I avoid movies he is in. Totally my loss as the stories are often in genre's I enjoy. I must say Kristen Stewart is doing well under his tutelage.