Is "Unconditional Love" either just a hokey phrase or a bad thing?

Asked by: MasturDbtor
  • 'Regardless' love would technically more sense.

The phrase 'unconditional love' is confusing. Unconditinal love, or Agape (Greek), is, "This is an unconditional love that sees beyond the outer surface and accepts the recipient for whom he/she is, regardless of their flaws, shortcomings or faults. It’s the type of love that everyone strives to have for their fellow human beings." (This was copied from the website http://typesoflove.org/four-types-of-love-greek-style/)

I would personally use the term regardless love instead. I do not believe that unconditional is very logical.

• 'Unconditional' is probably not the best word to use

In the romantic sense, unconditional love means loving someone for their weaknesses as well as their strengths, through the good times and the bad, "in sickness and in health" etc.- which is obviously how love should be. However, the word 'unconditional' implies loving someone no matter what they do- and that's a different matter entirely. If a person treats you badly or doesn't respect you in the relationship then you absolutely should not love them in spite of that (I know it's easier said than done since we can't control our emotions, but you get my point).