• Not forced to say it.

You are not forced to say it, therefore, don't say it if it really bothers you that much. It is just 2 words, and if you don't believe God exist, and we are nothing more then rats infesting the earth, what do care about a couple words? Don't like it? Don't say it.

• Yes, quite appropriate.

The U.S. is a nation founded by religious and righteous persons. We are founded by great ties to multiple religions, so having a salute to any God is respecting the basic foundations in the Constitution. There is no Separation of Church and state, for to have the separation promotes atheism, which is against our 1st amendment, so keep it in.

• Our nation was founded upon these principals.

Our nation was founded upon these principals to take them out would take out many of our national policies (some of which were founded around Christianity.) Christianity is also part of our history and history is important to all nations. Taking it out makes them lose much of the culture they previously had.

Posted by: Levi
  • If people from another country wants to come here to be free they at least must say the pledge of allegiance

every American should have to recite the pledge of allegiance. People that re from other countries most of the time are coming here to be free and not to be ruled under a dictatorship country.in The constitution it says every American citizen must show there loyalty and respect for the country but don't have to recite every word. My statigeck reading class is having a debate about this so I thought I would just list what I know and feel

• Under God Does Not Mean Christian

Nowhere in the Pledge of Allegiance does it say "Christian God." If it were referring to him, the correct phrase would be, "One Nation under Jehova." Under God should stay because it does not establish a state religion, it only acknowledges the fact the we are a humble nation who expresses consent to a higher authority. Founding Father Patrick Henry said in a letter that religion was one of the ideas that forms "America's Armor" which makes us invincible.

• You people don't say the pledge anyway, why are you butthurt?

Most people and young teens and adults, don't say the pledge anymore. Walking in the halls of my high school, Me and my teacher were always the only ones vocalizing the pledge. I found this very sad. The very people who don't care to say the pledge are the ones who are arguing to take it out. "God" could refer to anyone's personal God, or belief. It doesn't directly stand for "Yahweh" or "Allah". It is traditional, it is always been there- why change it? Why change everything? In schools, the pledge and prayer are held by the students, not the school. The students are allowed to voice the pledge. If people don't like "under God" in the pledge, then just hold your tongue on that part- or else the arguing will never cease. Whining never gets you anywhere.

• You dont have to say it.

Im fairly libertarian, so I dont believe anyone should be required to say it, however, I do believe America is a christian nation. And, yes, I am aware that there are quite a few arguments against that, not the least of which come from the founding fathers. But everything from the first pilgrims to the creation of the constitution was based in Christianity. I also believe that a nation that doesnt believe in God will fail. Its important to remember that we are a nation under God, and it is not immoral or inappropriate to say so.

• Yes it is

Whether liberals want to admit it or not, our nation was founded on Christian values. The problem is many liberals hate God and the idea that they are accountable to Him. That's the only reason gay marriage, abortion, and other sins are accepted. America's liberty is under attack, not by fanatical muslims, but a reinterpretation of the Constitution and the Bible.

• YES! OF COURSE

It shows the devotion that is needed and that must be accepted by the people of the USA in a matter most people take seriously; such as an oath or sworn agreement or (ahem), a pledge. It also is not going to harm a 5 year old to say something slightly religious in school; the boundary between state and church is very fine, there is no way to say for certain whether or not this is an actual breach.

• Go live somewhere else if you don't want to say it!

In other countries they will kill you if you don't ''bow down'' or ''pledge'' to their gods! So you should feel pretty darn lucky to be living here. And it's only 2 words out of your whole entire day! So my final words for this are, feel lucky to live in a free country!

• Violation of religious freedom, wasn't added until the 1950's anyway.

'Under God' was never a part of the original pledge of allegiance; it was added in 1954 mostly to stir up further anger at the fact that the Soviet Union was officially atheist. As well, many US citizens don't believe in god at all, so any pledge they may make 'under god' would be nonsensical and inapplicable; are these people then not allowed to pledge allegiance to the US because of their religious belief? Must they change their personal beliefs in order to be 'officially loyal' to the US? That's theocracy, and the US is a secular republic; religion is not allowed to impact the legality of anything. Technically, having any religious under-or-overtones in the pledge of allegiance of a secular state is illegal, and a violation of freedom of religion.

• There is no evidence for god.

This should not be ingrained in children while they are growing up in public schools. It poisons the mind and brainwashes them instead of focusing on logic, reason, science, and the Socratic method to determine how the world works and the meaning of life. There should be a clear and necessary separation between church and state at all times.

• We are n0t a Christian nation

The United States does not have an official religion. We should not require any individual to possess certain beliefs about a higher power, and having those two, simple words as a part of our Pledge of Allegiance is promoting religious beliefs that not everyone possesses, which is against what our country stands for.

• I believe that the American Pledge of Allegiance is not be reworded.

I believe that the American Pledge of Allegiance should not be reworded. Our forefathers are the ones who pledge this nation "under God," therefore it should remain that way. The Pledge of Allegiance is a part of our history. Do we change history to make more suitable to some people? Why would we change it? Would we change the Constitution because it doesn't seem appropriate to non religious people?

Posted by: RaouICyber
  • "Under God" violates separation of church and state.

Why is it so many "Christians" are trying to force their beliefs on others? Is there a basic insecurity among those Christians? Is their "faith" on shaky ground? Do they realize, on the one had, that there is a good chance there s no "God", and other the other hand, they are deep believers in "God"?

• The First Amendment

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." I won't get into the history of the pledge or of this country, as this page is flooded with it already. I feel that is is inaccurate to say that the insertion of this phrase into the pledge is appropriate, when appropriate is defined as constitutional. It is very clear that the "God" in the pledge is the Christian god, and that is clearly respecting an establishment of religion. If one were to argue that it just means god in general, well even if you want to change what the actual intent is, I would argue that it still violates the Constitution.

• God has nothing to do with America.

This is a direct violation of the first amendment, as it definitely secures Christianity as the de facto religion of our government. Yes, the a few of the founding fathers were religious to some extent, but they had the decency to think that if they ever let anybody other than white men have any rights, they'd be able to by allowing diversity in religion, including in the government. When a massive storm hits America, and politicians say that they're putting their faith in God over their dependence on the federal government, we realize that they're out of their mind and give them federal aid so that their cities don't flood, and people have some chance at making a recovery. The human spirit has done more for America than God and prayer ever has; why should we lower our standards to be under God?

• Separation of Church and State

Even though the pledge doesn't specify which "God" America is under, it still discriminates against Atheists. We have a separation of Church and State. The words "Under God" were not even part of the original pledge and were added in the 50's due an unfounded fear of Communism. No child should be indoctrinated into believing in a God by a State run school.

• It is not appropriate to be recited in public schools.

A lot of people on the other side of this argument are saying that we just shouldn't say it if we don't believe in it. Well, I'm an atheist in a public school, and I have been judged and ridiculed by a good many of my peers for doing just that. I recite our pledge everyday because I love this country and the freedom it gives me, but the "under God" portion of our pledge is just not necessary and I refuse to say it. Under the constitution the government is not supposed to support a national religion, and obviously the phrase "under God" is going towards the Judeo-Christian God. No matter how many people say that the word "God" is up for interpretation, they are all very mistaken or just in denial. Having to be criticized in my school for not saying a part in our nation's pledge of allegiance because it goes against my beliefs is just wrong and just makes me embarrassed that our supreme court can't recognize this injustice.

• Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

The first amendment states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." We are supposed to have separation of church and state. The phrase "under God" was added into the Pledge of Allegiance June 14, 1954, so it wasn't something the founders wanted. Freedom of religion doesn't mean we should force religious beliefs in schools. We don't know if a god exists so we are basically brainwashing children by telling them there is a god.

Anonymous says2013-04-14T04:48:29.013
OMG!!!! Some of you people REALLY don't know your American History do you?! SMH @ a bunch of you! Kmsl @ you all at the same time thought b/c for SOME reason you guys are under the impression our gov't was built on the foundation of religion. Well...Sry to burst ya'll bubbles, but that's really a bunch of bologne. Let me share someth
Anonymous says2013-04-14T04:49:35.217
*let me share a tidbit of information with everyone:

The Pledge in use today, written by Francis Bellamy in 1892,  was modified by the U.S. Congress in 1954 by adding the words “under God” and in effect turning it into an unconstitutional public prayer.  There are millions of Americans who believe in God but do not believe they are "under" God.  Some find God within their own hearts while others believe they are part of --not under-- a divine power or sacred universe. Still others do not believe in God at all. The religious beliefs of these Americans are violated by our government, in schools, in public meetings, or anywhere the Pledge is recited. Because of a desire to avoid 1st Amendment conflicts, many simply avoid reciting the Pledge. It was changed before and it can be changed back.