• Saving people everywhere

All in the title. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• A special and very brave police officer needed to do tasks any usual officer may not want to do.

It is a way of infiltrating and investigating criminal activity that the usual police officer has no access to. These investigations require large amounts of time, in depth knowledge and a degree of trust which takes time to gain. Don't forget this an investigation not only into one or a very few people but into huge criminal communities, often global. To be accepted into criminal circles like these and to amass evidence required for a robust prosecution an officer/s need to 'live' as close to the criminals as possible. To adopt undercover personas may be the only way to accomplish this effectively.

• We live in a police state

In other countries the police cars are bright and easy to spot out to help a citizen in need. In other countries police are taught conflict resolution but here they are taught how to strong arm people. The policing process should be a much kinder and gentler one, but now it has gotten involved with excessive force and money generating. I honestly feel scared sometimes when I drive through my town at night and see ominous police cars at my tail, fully blacked out, totally suspicious looking, totally infringing upon my space even though I have not done anything wrong. Police should be a friendly service in the neighborhood, not something everyone hates and fears.

• Yes it is.

Undercover police work balances out in an ethical way because the police are there to protect the citizens in that city and area by going under cover and getting the bad guys off the street. It is the only way for them to take down big organizations and make sure they can stop them.

• Yes, Under Certain Guidelines And Oversight

Undercover policing is an essential part of a police department protecting the public. However, it should and does follow a stringent set of rules. Entrapment is illegal, and it should remain so. Like in many other cases, there are some officers who abusing their power. However, most undercover officers are ethical people.

Posted by: rpr
  • Undercover police stop undercover criminals.

If criminals wore uniforms, then I would be against undercover police. If a criminal does not have to identify himself, I see no reason that a police officer should. It is an effective way of infiltrating drug rings, money laundering operations, etc. If you don't sell drugs, I don't see how you could be against the police doing their job any way they can.

• Undercover police work is ethical.

I wish we could say that we live in a world where criminals are generally an honest group of people. Sadly, we do not. Why should the police have to be truthful in all their dealings with criminals? Some deception in the furtherance of justice does not make something unethical.

• Undercover police work is not ethical.

It is not ethical to lie to people and falsify who you are for legal purposes. That being said, ethical and necessary often do not overlap, and generally do not align. I realize the need and purpose for undercover work completed by police officers for a variety of reasons in the pursuit of justice.

• No, but it is necessary.

It is not ethical to lie to people and falsify who you are for legal purposes. That being said, ethical and necessary often do not overlap and generally do not align. I realize the need and purpose for undercover work completed by police officers for a variety of reasons in the pursuit of justice.

• Undercover police work, as it is all too often conducted, is futile.

Look, undercover work has been conducted extensively for I don't know how many years. In many ways and on many occasions it has been successful, but over all it has done nothing to neutralize crime let alone do away with it all together-therefore society is still no better off in the end. I mean think about it, as undercover cops take down crime bosses, drug lords, crime groups and et cetera, crime still somehow reigns supreme (as it has since day 1) in our society. For example, let's say an undercover takes down a big time drug dealer or arms dealer but in the process he/she either enables or engages in the same activity that the dealer and, or, the like, engages in-as such the cop contributes GREATLY to the already on-going cycle and recycle of such activity putting more drugs or guns either out onto the streets for anyone to get ahold of or, and more than likely, in other criminal hands (making them all the more powerful). Furthermore, as one "head honcho" or chief group is displaced an other ends up taking over and becomes the new "top dog"-enabled by the opportunistic void left by the displacement of the previous. And what is most disturbing and troublesome is the fact that at times innocent people get caught up in a situation and get hurt or worse because the undercovers "do what they have to do" in order to keep their cover and not blow their operation-which, with all due respect, really makes them no different from who they are trying take down. Not to mention many, not all but again many, undercover cops themselves end up as victims, either that or they somehow or another submit to the element and literally become the criminals they had sought to take down in the first place (something referred to as "going native"). And these are just a few basic examples here. To all who argue the "Hey, they do what they got to do" premise for undercover operations and et cetera, should really take the time to truly research the subject and find out more than what they think they know about such an issue and at the same time took a good solid look at how prevalent crime in society is and has been. People in general only go by simplistic popular perception, looking at the surface of the topic, going by any explanation that sounds satisfactory enough to them. But if they actually do some digging I guarantee at least 8 times out of 10 they will clearly see that with the way it is conducted, undercover work actually increases more crime than it defeats. Check out the You Tube video "Black Panther Activist Turned Out To Be FBI Informant," the book "Terror Factory" by Trevor Aaronson, the article "Gangster Cops" by James McNamara and the article "Assessing the Effectiveness of Organized Crime Control Strategies: A Review of the Literature (section 4.13 Undercover Operations and Informants)." See these.

• We live in a police state

• It's not ethical to set up people

Human natures cant pass the tests under the temptation. It's not ethical or legal to set up anyone. Who could be justified all the time? Making use of people's weakness and induce the crime is wrong and should be stopped. I knew one person being set up, and served 3 and half year in prison

• Justice should not hide.

When you are in the business of upholding the law, and you spend your time breaking the laws to supposedly do some greater good, guess what? You're still breaking the law! If we endow these people the powers to enforce the laws, should they not know them and obey them as well?

It is rife with hypocrisy and is akin to a a title of nobility - something that should not exist. It is esteeming one man over another because of his line of work. And the law treat one differently than the other. Thus, undercover officers are above the law and are extended special privileges whereas regular police and citizens are not.

It is simply wrong.