• They ate both equally insulting

How offensive the term is also depends on the person. I would be very insulted if I were called that word just as an African American would be insulted. Whites have also been enslaved/tortured in other contexts as well. The fact is that world history is interesting to study but terribly selfish, racist, sexist, violent and greedy. If we want to move past the past, we can't pick and choose which ethnic slurs are worse than others, we just need to stop using them.

• Crackers are Dangerous than Anything Else

Today, simple sparklers have given way to elaborate fireworks that can light up the entire sky above your home. Unfortunately the fumes that these crackers produce are harmful to the the environment and us.

Copper: Causes irritation in the respiratory tract.

Cadmium: Reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of blood, leading to anaemia.

Lead: Lead in the body has a harmful effect on the nervous system.

Magnesium: Magnesium fumes cause a condition known as metal fume fever.

Zinc: Causes metal fume fever and also induces vomiting.

Sodium: Sodium is a highly reactive element and combines with moisture to cause burns.

Posted by: def
  • Yes. Both are equally fine with me.

Even if these words may have derogatory histories, that isn't what they mean now. They are just terms to refer to a skin colour. So what's the big deal? I don't consider either one any more offensive than just using "white" or "black", because ultimately, they both mean the same thing.

• Words are not the problem, it's Intent

Epithets such as "nigger" "wop" "chink" "cracker" "slope" "beaner", and many others are used as a way to hurt people's feelings. Words are given power by context and intent. If I said "That mideval armor has a chink in it." would you believe that I was being racist? No. Because the word itself isn't the issue. I like crackers in my soup. Is that racist? But if I were to say "I'm gonna kill that cracker!", I guarantee you it's an insult. It is no more or less hurtful than any other word, it's still hurtful and bad. The usage of cracker is as bad as the "N-word". Giving the euphamism "n-word" is also an insult.

• Both are an offensive racial term.

They are both the same thing... An offensive racial term. Lets remove race from the context for a minute. It's an offensive term use to refer to someone with a certain skin color.

The only thing more racist than either those words is for you to suddenly say it's not as offensive because the person it's offending is white.

• Derogatory is Derogatory

Being derogatory based on race does not come in degree's. Putting someone down "only a little bit" because of their race is just an excuse to be racist.

That like saying killing someone by a lethal injection is better than killing someone by dismemberment. Either way the person is dead, and it cannot be undone.

• Truth in Headlines?

The mere fact that the word cracker is not censored, but the 'n-word' can't be typed out without offense kind of makes it obvious that this post was implied to ask a question to which there was only one answer. If one is bad and you can't say it, but one might be bad, but you can say it, then there is not an issue as to which is worse, as bad, or better. Neither is acceptable to be used as a derogatory term. Again the mere fact that one is censored and one is not means that the idea is meant to incite racial divide, and promote secularism among people. If cracker is as bad, then you have automatically insulted whites, by not censoring it equally as the other word, and you don't care, or simply saying that if it is as bad then its ok to say. And insulted blacks by comparing it to a derogatory term associated with slavery.
    If it is not as "bad", you have essentially told people that it is not ok to say derogatory things towards blacks, but it is ok to do to whites.
    Deciding for a race what is ok to call them and what isn't?
    I find the use of the word insulting, but not the word. So the fact that a few of my race are insulted by its use, and other races think its not as bad, as they are presented as a comparison to their own derogatory lends credibility to the idea that it is ok to insult a certain race because those using it don't think its as bad. Ignoring the actual implication from the receiver. It is exactly the same as if all white people decided that the "n-word" wasn't as bad as black think it is, and if we are the majority, then it should be ok to say. The reality of the situation is, they are both insults. The receiver of the insult is offended so the sender should desist from using the term in a derogatory way.

• Is using 'cracker' as bad as using the n-word?

It's every bit as bad as saying the n-word, as a matter of fact it's worse now than the on-site. Why? You might ask. Quite simply because it's a word that is backed with a low that it's not as bad as the n-word. How is a hateful, racially charged derogatory remark regarded as okay in the 21st Century? Simply answered: because popular culture, the media and even most liberal whites condone the behavior. White people today under the age of 45 had nothing to do with Jim Crow laws and NO white person alive today had anything to do with slavery. The term "white privilege" was coined by the same aristocratic liberal types whom allowed slavery in the first place. White people are guilty of nothing except being white. Look at today's popular culture and you'd think each and every one of us had a person of color waiting on us hand and foot. Plain and simple SLAVERY IS THE BLACK MAN'S CRUTCH. ONLY THEY CAN REMOVE THEMSELVES FROM THE VICTIM MENTALITY.

• Racial slurs are wrong, no matter what.

People always try and claim that because whites did (and have done) some really horrible things to other races, that it justifies doing the same thing to whites. Any other racial slur against any other race would be seen as horribly offensive and would get you in a lot of trouble. So, why should it be acceptable to use a racial slur against whites?

• It's Not the Same

Because of what happened during slavery and segregation, it holds a different connotation and hurts a lot more when you say it towards an African American. And because the 'n' word was used more frequently towards African Americans, and cracker wasn't used as much, it doesn't have the same effect.

Posted by: J4U5
  • Even this pole knows cracker is meaningless compared to nigger otherwise they would have used both words in the pole question.

Yes ALL racial terms are bad, but if your taking the argument that these two words are the same you don't understand what nigger means.

I have never met a "white person" who really cared about the term cracker, yet have met a lot of black people who deeply care about the N word. I think it's because of the era from which these words gained their power. While it's true some whites have been enslaved and tortured (mainly by other whites) the term cracker has not been associated with a traumatic era in our history. Thus why i believe the "n" word are far worst.
    Calling someone the N word, is referring to that person as worthless hence the U. S constitution not counting blacks as people at the time. After changing the laws I think they were considered 1/4 of a person and that was a victory at the time. Blacks in the era of freely using the N word where treated like property because that's what they were. They were sold, traded and even disregarded like an old dog when it suited the owners. These people had no rights and commonly were severely beaten, tortured or even killed for the smallest things like making eye contact. They would hang blacks from trees for amusement because there were no repercussions. And the United States were not the only people doing this.

We have had it easy in the last few decades but let's not forget these people SUFFERED horribly. Terms like the "N" word are directly derived from these events. Yet cracker comes from what? In the majority of our history whites are not the abused, they are the abusee. Of course I'm not referring to incidents like the Irish, Jews etc because whites were both the abused and abusee.
    But to conclude this is why I believe words like Cracker are not even in the same league as Nigger. Cracker from what I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) originated from blacks in the era of the slave trade. But it has never been a derogatory term in the same sense the other words have been. Flocks of white people where not raped, tortured, sold or felt like they were not part of society because they were refers to as cracker.

I apologize if I messed up my post originally it was a reply to positvepatrol, first time on this site and after registering and voting I had to put an argument so I copied most of what I replied to the other user.

• First thing I'm white I feel that's important

So my darling sister said that both terms are equally derogatory yet she could not say the n word and said cracker with ease. I don't agree. I understand that being called cracker is supposed to be derogatory but the word has no weight to it unlike the n word. I'm white so obviously I haven't been called the n word as it is used against black people. However, the effect it has is visible through all aspects of society as the use of this words has roots that go centuries back. This harkens to a time when black people were worth less than various farm animals. This word is use to belittle and devalue people with black skin.

• Let's be honest.

Is "cracker" offensive? Sure. Has the term been used to systematically oppress and disenfranchise an entire race of people? Absolutely not. "Cracker" refers to a group of people in a position of power (regardless if they are aware of their power or not). It's a testament to white privilege that there are people who could even consider the two terms comparable.

• Different Histories .

While "cracker" may be considered offensive by some, it isn't even close to the "N-word" in its offensiveness. I've been called cracker, and I just shrugged it off, because think of how much suffering white people have caused to blacks over history. The N-word has much more of a history and connotation than Cracker, and was used as a derogatory term for a long time. Cracker is relatively new and doesn't have the same effect. Neither of them is okay, but calling someone the N-word is much worse than a Cracker.

• I think not

The first thing I think of when I hear someone (an African American)use the word cracker is a.)that I don't hear it all that often, and b.) I find it a little offensive. However, if I hear someone use the Nword it makes me feel ashamed. Ashamed for the person saying it(African American or white) . I know that it is very offensive. So my answer is no, I do not think the Nword and cracker are comparable.

• It depends but in general no.

The N-word has a lot more history and weight to it than Cracker. The very fact that you wrote them that way shows that there is a difference. The only reason I say it depends, is because if a black person says the N-word to another black person then it isn't necessarily bad.

A white person calling a black person by the N-word is undoubtedly worse than a black person calling a white person "Cracker" because of the history and connotations of the words. From a white person to a black person the N-word is derogatory, and refers whether intentionally or otherwise to a time when black people suffered and were enslaved in America. The opposite does not apply to the word "cracker" and it certainly wouldn't apply to the same extent.

Bullish says2013-08-07T15:01:27.427
Here's the level of insult I would rank: White-cracker-maggot, Black-savage-n***er.
charlie2600 says2013-08-07T17:27:01.103
... Consider how none of you of you will even type out the "n-word." I think it's safe to say that "nigger" has much more stigma behind it than "cracker".