Is Virginia's new law, raising marriage age to 16, the right thing to do?

• Yes, Virginia's new law raising the marriage age to 16 is the right thing to do.

Yes, Virginia's new law raising the marriage age to 16 is the right thing to do because kids younger than 16 are still extremely vulnerable and dependent on their parents. Children under the age of 16 are still unable to drive, drink and vote and shouldn't be allowed to marry either.

• This should be common sense

Why wouldn't you move the age up? It only makes sense. I think they should move it up to 18 when you're a legal adult. This would deter kids in high school from getting married too soon. The focus at that age should be acquiring an education not raising a family or entering into a legal union with someone.

• Nobody needs to be getting married any younger

The thought that children younger than 16 were able to be married is absurd! There is no child that age mature enough to make the choice to marry someone, and no one should ever be entered into marriage without making the choice themselves. Even at 16, I feel a person is far too young yet, but at least it's an improvement on the previous law.

• This is nuts

I'm sorry but 16 year old's aren't ready for marriage. There isn't a couple out there that should get married at age 16. People should have to wait till at least 25 in my opinion. I guarantee the divorce rates would plummet and society would be an entirely different place.