• This is the new racism

Racism is trying to make people feel like they are bad because of the color of their skin. Telling someone to "check their privilege" is totally racist. It says that what you have to say is of no importance because of the color of your skin.

Not all "white" people are born to a life of privilege and claiming that their is such a thing as "white privilege" paints all white people with the same brush. Something I believe the black, Latino and Asian cultures have complained about.

This is political correctness on steroids.

• This is the new racism

• Elite white vs. Poor white

From my experiences with wealthy whites I'd say that they hate all people in poverty equally. However, when it comes to poor whites they believe they are a part of the whole of white people and focus their problems on minorities. It is possible that the poor whites are a large enough group they may be influential on the wealthy because lower middle class and working class whites are the bread and butter of the upper middle and upper class whites.

• White people don't even know it

When I say white privilege I mean the paradigm believed by many blacks and many whites that white people are born innately smarter and take precedence over blacks when it comes to education, medicine and other intelligible subjects. Also that white people worry about less things and don't have to worry about making mistakes that will be attributed to their race. Studies prove that whites worry less about things across all aspects of society than blacks and other ethnic groups have to worry about. Keep in mind the white privilege I describe isn't pertaining to money or equity or status but a mindset and mentality.

• It is an oversimplification

White privilege is a concept that sprang from ideas that had good intentions but it lacks a foundation in broader reality. To understand this, compare the concept of white privilege to the Holocaust.

The Holocaust existed in a particular time, with particular parameters with particular individuals. There is evidence that supports that the Holocaust happened and we can hold those who were involved accountable for their actions. That being said, those who deny that the Holocaust happened have a tremendous body of evidence to overcome.

White privilege, on the other hand, is not assigned to a particular time, with particular parameters and with particular individuals. This is to say that anyone white automatically has white privilege attributed to them whereas in the case of the Holocaust, only the perpetrators could be linked to the event.

If someone were to say that all of Germany and Austria were to blame for the Holocaust or even all of them benefited from it, there would be tremendous push back. So, why not with white privilege?

White privilege is a modern application of the idea of neo-colonialism. It is to say that the institutions of the past that inordinately favored a certain class still exist. The question is, which ones?

Can non whites be CEOs? Can non-whites reach the highest political positions in the land? Can non whites vote, hold land, own companies, use the same bathrooms, hold civil service positions, and obtain jobs? The answer to all of these is yes.

However, those that believe in white privilege, believe that the results say otherwise. There is not enough representation they say. Not enough non white CEOs, not enough non white Politicians, civil servants, business owners and private employees. Why? The system is rigged. It says one thing while doing another.

Not only is this position dubious because it assumes a conspiracy of the masses, it also does not hold up under scrutiny when applied to broader society. It only applies to the action of individuals - which does not account for the actions and beliefs of whites as a whole.

Those who maintain this belief are either extremely paranoid or hold averse predispositions on whites in the first place (racism.) If white privilege existed, John McCain would never have lost in 2008 and Mitt Romney would have amassed all but the minority vote in 2012 thus garnering a victory.

The truth is, our society values merit rather than race. The problem is that minority populations are still in the process of trying to out-compete a population that had more college bound ancestors and more role models in their own race. That is not a problem of racism; it is a matter of time. Eventually minorities will gain more of those positions, not by a mandate on the color of their skin, but because a larger population of them will be competing for those positions in the future.

Do not judge people by the color of their skin but the content of their character.

• Its covert racism that nobody will admit.

Minorities and people who hate white people are never going to admit that "white privilage" is indeed racism. This being that since they have found a way to bash whites without it being considerd racist ot hate. They are. Who ever says white people cant expierence racism is stupidly ignorant, every race expierences racism every day. Then theres scum like al sharpton who take every advantage of this trend and apreads racism.

• Racism has nothing to do with class, goshdarnit

Racism -- anyone can be a racist -- poor or rich. I think the better term is white favoritism. That I do believe in exists in certain cases. There is no such thing as white priviledge. That doesn't exist. White favoritism does exist however. So that should be addressed. Yes.

• White people are poor too

The white privilege notion is perpetuating racism while the real problem is that of class inequality and class warfare. It's not about white or black privilege, the focus needs to be on socioeconomic class and escaping poverty and poor living conditions. This problem applies to all races and all cultures.

• White privilege is not the "new racism"

This question was so clumsily worded, however I assume that it is asking if the theory of "white privilege" is racist to white people. This is not racist, it is fact. White people do not suffer from racism. White people can be disadvantaged, and white people can experience prejudice, but that is not racism.

• White poor person speaking...

I'm broke as all get out. We're on WIC and everything. You know who I blame? Rich PEOPLE. I don't care the least bit if a person is white, greed and selfishness are traits of the entire species. Inequality is the problem. The fact that that inequality has consequences that more severely effect minorities is unrelated to the cause of said inequality, and that cause is the HUMAN condition.

• No, having money does not make you racist.

From what I am gathering, you are trying to project that the person, white or any other race, is racist just for having money. If someone has money, they should be able to do whatsoever they chose without having to be concerned about being called racist by idiots on the internet. Do you seriously want to call anything that separates one from another racist? Let's go ahead and call skinny people racist because they aren't fat!

• Rascism and sexism are sort of abundant in America

You don't have to look very far to find it in all of its forms. Do I think white privlage is the new rascism, no. Not as it's put here. Not only because the question is open to a lot of interpretation but because even though there is white favoritism in America it's not exactly new. Both sides are rich and poor and yes, I agree on average a white person has a better chance at an education and well paying job. But this is because first off, there are many laws aiming to keep majority black communities lower on the income spectrom, I believe the war on drugs provides such laws. Also rascism that we seldom notice keeps minorities and woman payed less on average. Also our present culture promotes harmful stereotypes against almost every community. Do I think white privlage exists? Of course. And that's one of the things we as a country need to fix. Do I think that it is a naturally occurring factor that's new in any sense, no. I think we do things to perpetuate this delema as a country and this needs to change.

• Black people mate.

Look, black people are humans aswel, I understand this. However, just because your black and poor doesn't mean that white people are to blame. Stop spending all your money on chickens and RPGs then maybe you can afford a TV, instead of robbing up your neigbours house.
    I speak from the heart when I say GIVE ME BACK MY TV MATE!

fawny says2014-05-22T01:18:45.473
I think the image for your post is affecting the results for your question.