Is Yagami Light from the anime Death Note evil?

Asked by: Romanii
  • Light Yagami is evil.

His personality is always like this, Whether or not anyone triggered it. Some say that Ryuk was evil, But he only triggered what Light really was. He may have said that he only killed the bad that was in prison, And continue to wipe out the whole prison but he also killed other people unesecary, Making him selfish. I understand that he would be good if he really only killed bad people, But Raye Iwamatsu had a future, He had a fioncee, He had a life. And Light killed him like that, For his own benefit. He also doesn't know the story behind every prisoner- some may have been framed and sent to prison, And they died innocent. A person may not count so much from a scale of a million, But imagine if one of your most loved died, Because they were framed, Or that they worked for the police catching Kira. I mean, They died because they were doing their job? What kind of crap is that? They work so hard only to be killed in just a snap. Light Yagami is nothing but evil.

• Light Yagami is evil.

• Light Yagami is evil.

• Yes, and I sympathize with him way too much

This is completely obvious but I am a terrible person who empathizes with people I really shouldn’t so I’m basically the characters in the story who put up a facade in public of despising him while creating entire fansites in his honor because humanity is prone to authoritarian logic. He’s still a dick tho

• How is this even a question??

Anyone who thinks that Light Yagami is a good person or even a decent person is a dumbass, or an impressionable child who couldn't recognize the ruthless sadistic arrogant and downright deluded murderer in front of them(Plus he's a sociopath), also just because his actions as Kira made the world a safer place doesn't mean that the f*cked up sh*t he pulled and the person he was suddenly becomes acceptable.

Majority of what he says is bullsh*t and I don't think anyone should take him seriously, such as him saying he's "martyr" people need to realize that we're watching a show staring a delusional serial killer who thinks he's a god, keyword "delusional" ,Light saying he's a martyr is what he thinks of himself, it's not the truth.

• He started out good but became more and more evil over time.

Light at the end of the series was a lawful evil character. At the start though he wasn't. He was actually disgusted with himself for thinking using it. Once he saw it was real though he began to consider how this affected both him and the world. To him he saw the end goal as a perfect world free of evil.

So to him a few innocent deaths were just a drop in a bucket. The thing is though he never took in the shades of grey including possible false convictions. Film theory actually did a pretty good job covering how many deaths there were and since a lot of the death were based in Japan there's no telling how many deaths we didn't see. We also don't know if the death were of a guilty party or falsely convicted.

• He's a loon

Light has a superiority complex and desires to eradicate the world of people who commit crimes. What's ironic is that on the way to cleansing the world of evil he becomes just as bad, if not worse, than those who he hates the most: criminals. Also, what about people who have been convicted but are innocent... Light definitely could have killed innocent men who were incarcerated, the fucking idiot. I personally cannot stand Light and I find him a hypocritically sociopath with a lust for power: a very dangerous combination.

• Light is evil from the beginning.

Although his intentions appear noble on the surface, what Light truly wants from the beginning is power and control. Before he even receives his Death Note, he wishes that people he deems "evil" would die. Once he gets his Death Note and realizes its true power, he never backs down. Also in the first episode, he already has the desire to rule as a god. He maintains this goal to the very end. As early as the second episode, he shows no hesitation in wanting to kill L, who has committed no crime, all because his stand-in called Light's actions "evil."

Furthermore, throughout the series, he manipulates people into doing what he wants, without remorse. He is a textbook sociopath. He wants to kill everyone who stands in his way, even if they have committed no crimes. Forcefully taking lives, even if they "deserve" it, is still murder. And no one has murdered more people than Light Yagami.

• Twisted sense of justice

I never thought that Light himself was good, since he very quickly revels that he thinks that he has the right and the ability to become God. God, in my eyes, is supposed to be a loving a forgiving omnipotent creator of existence, Light... Is a highly intelligent young adult who found a book that lets him kill people.
    To be fair, besides the God thing, I thought that Light had very good intentions and could arguably be doing the right thing, since his actions reduce crime, but all faith I had in his intentions were gone when he killed the FBI agent that was following him. He also tried to kill L as soon as he simply said that Kira's actions are evil. If he truly valued justice, then wouldn't that at least mean he values the lives of people who obey the law? No, he doesn't.
    By killing that FBI agent, Light showed that if anyone even risked opposing him, he will kill them as soon as he possibly could.
    He at least has some compassion for his family, but even that is very minimal, do to being completely fine with his own father's death, the death of the man who raised him and loved him unconditionally. He then makes no attempts at helping his mother and sister coup with this loss, in fact, he seems to have simply, without so much as a word, severed all ties with them.
    In my eyes, as soon as he killed the FBI agents, Light Yagami proved himself to just be a psychotic serial killer who used the excuse that "Since I am God, that means all people that I kill are evil and I am doing a good thing by killing them." But as soon as someone tries to stop him from taking the lives of others, he'll just kill them too, despite them usually just being good people who don't want to see others die. In fact, with how much he likes to taunt, laugh and smile at these peoples' deaths, I would argue that these are the people he enjoys killing the most. Basically, he's just a guy who likes killing others, so he wets his appetite for death by killing criminals, but he especially enjoys killing those that want to stop him from killing.
    In the end, I think Light committed the two most evil acts that someone can: Murder and the removal of freewill by killing everyone that go outside of his twisted views for the world.

• Ryuk said it himself.

Ryuk even said himself when he found Light with the death note "youve grown quite a liking to it'' he even said that misfortune comes to those who use it, and according to the game Light played that whoever wins is right he lost. So even according to light himself is wrong

• Not quite evil.

He wasn't evil, he just went a bit insane at the end.
    Insane isn't evil though.
    His end goal was good and he stopped wars and made world peace, as well as lowering crime rates 70%. He did kill people, but less that wars would have. He couldn't have done it another way.
    Its true he saw himself as god, but it was always metaphorically. He still planned excellently because he knew he couldn't just win by willing it, as god could. He just felt like he was chosen because he was the most capable.

• I don't think so

He is not because in the anime all he wanted was a better world to live in, and to keep crime rates low. Also the people he has killed were the people who were in jail of committing crimes. Those criminals for whatever reason should not be doing bad things, because there are other ways to solve problems, I am not say that Light is evil but he could of thought of a better way to make his "ideal" world better without killing.

• Not exactly evil

While Light acted evil at the last few episodes, he proves that he is normally kind-hearted untillhe found the Death Note. His idea was good, yet his method was very flawed.

Now I am going to make a scale on how evil a character is

Number system:
    1. Pure Good
    2. Pretty much Toriel
    3. Normal
    4. Questionable
    5. Could be nicer
    6. A bit of a jerk
    7. As frightening a Ryuk or Rem
    8. Unsavory Vandal
    9. Banking Clerk
    10. Pure Evil
    11. The most evil person I ever saw!

RANKING:

Light: 4. Qustionable
    Misa: 2. Pretty much Toriel
    Higuchi: 10. Pure Evil
    Mikami: 6. A bit of a jerk
    L Lawliet: 3. Normal
    Near: 4. Questionable
    Mello: 8. Unsavory Vandal
    Watari: 3. Normal
    Ryuk/Rem: 7. As frightening as yuk or Rem
    Light (Shinigami): 5. Could be nicer

That's all about my ranking!

• No he is not bad

I thin light him self was good but KIRA is debatable KIRA was fulled by what he thought was wright plus think if you had the Death Note what you would do if it was me the world would already be peace full but if you think he is evil I can understand why I mean I almost put yes.

• Death note without death

I don't think he's evil , actually we can't decide whether he's evil or not because everyone has a different point of view. In my opinion he's not and I agree with him there is more hatred and darkness in this world and it is rotten like he said .From my view I can say that the people trying to catch kira are evil because their proud of that rotten world. Light shined in the darkness all he did was for justice but to make their world even worse they captured light yagami,the only light left in that darkness who wanted to help

• Death note without death

• Lemme Get a Large Soda

Voice Comm: Can I take your order please?
    Big Smoke: Carl, what do you want? You gotta eat to keep your strength up, man.
    CJ: Ey, I’ll take a number 9, fat boy.
    Ryder: Give me a number 9, just like him.
    Sweet: I’ll have a number 6 with extra dip.
    Big Smoke: I’ll have two number 9s, a number 9 large, a number 6 with extra dip, a number 7, two number 45s, one with cheese, and a large soda.

• He was the victim, even perhaps the martyr he described himself as

Light Yagami was an admirable person. He was a model citizen, loved his family, worked hard, and always wanted to help people. He wanted the world to be a better place. He had so much empathy in the beginning that he felt the rottenness of the world very deeply despite not being personally affected. He was the model of a healthy, good person. Then, the death note happened. The Death Note that came from another realm. Undoubtedly it had to be created by satan (who may have been the Shimigami king) or whichever ultimate evil being you imagine. This means that fictional or not, the ultimate evil power in the universe is in that book. Anyone who discovers it alone is subject to be corrupted by the book, not at their own fault either. It is the death note and Shinigami that are evil, not light. It is this dark underworld's power that created Kira using Light's body and mind. He wanted so badly to fight for justice. That was his life's mission and his desire to become a detective proved it. Now, think about your life's mission? If you found a way you thought could bring that about with ease, would it not be tempting to use it? All Light wanted was a better world for moral and loving people like he was before Kira consumed him. He had no real desire for anything else, so ultimately that is what he would do anything for, just like a businessman might do anything for money. Light Yagami came back when he lost his memories, proving to me that he was an amazing and moral and good person. The underworld created Kira, Kira was in sorts a demonic possesion of Light. Not Light himself. I have seen arguments that Light was very immature to not realize he himself would become a bad guy, but I think Light figured someone had to do it. He figured the only way to world peace was for him to bring it about, so he gave up his mind, heart, and then his life. I think in his final moments Light came back, and since the personalities of Light and Kira shared the same body he died along with Kira. I think he knew this, he sacraficed himself for it all. I was very saddened at the end and I wish the series could have ended with all memories of the death note erased. The death note was Kira, not light. In the end, Kira was not the only murderer, so were all the detectives involved. He only needed to be stripped of the death note completely like he was in confinement and Kira would have died and Light could have lived. I do not believe any human being is immune to what happened to Light, we are human after all and not God.

• He is the good guy

He saved much more people Than he killed , by decreasing crime rate by 70%. I dont see him as insane either. I think his laugh is a alegory , Just like his red eyes. The people that stopped him are guilty for all the deaths in the Extra murders that Begin to happen after kiras death.

• He is the good guy