• Yes, Because We Are Similar in Many Important Ways

I will never know, but it seems like your red should be the same as mine.
    We are the same species of animal, so the apparatus in ours eyes, and
    the way our brains interpret the message that comes along the optic nerve
    should be the same. We use the same word for the color red, so it is likely
    that our disparate environments taught us to call the same wavelengths
    bounced to our eyes by the same name. Though I will never know you, I
    believe you and I have enough in common to see the same red.

• We don't know if it is or not.

That is a question that is very hard to answer. In a certain sense, the same red that I see is the same red that you see. We all are designed (those who aren't colorblind that is) to see the visible spectrum of light from 390 Nanometers (Violet) to 750 Nanometers (red).

So when I see an apple that is red, we pick up on the 400–484 THz wavelength 620–750 nm frequency light. Our brains have been trained and conditioned to perceive that frequency as "Red" and as such we see it as "Red"

However, since there is no way to know what the brain "sees" and how it develops the image in the mine, there is no way to know if the "color" given to the "red" frequencies in my brain is the same "color" given to the "red" frequencies in other people's brains.

This is why it is impossible to describe "red" to the blind or the colorblind since we have no real way to describe it without using fluffy terms (red is warm, inviting, sensual, etc). We can describe it in terms of wavelength and frequency and other scientific terms, but those terms are meaningless in helping us to understand those colors unless we can actually "see" them

So my blue is your blue in as much as I can see a "blue" object and can assign the wavelength and frequency a "color" in my mind. IS this the same "color" that your mind gives it? Hard to say.

This may in fact be one of the reasons that people have favorite colors. One brain may assign a "color" to the frequency and wavelength of green that is pleasing to that person's mind. Another might not have a pleasant color assigned to it and as such isn't as thrilled about it.

• It is probable

While strictly speaking, it's possible that we each perceive the same wavelengths of light in different ways, I think we probably perceive them in the same ways because our perceptive equipment (i.e. our eyes, optic nerves, and brains) are all basically the same. At the very least, I think it's a safe assumption that we're rational in believing until it's disproved. Three more words.

• Of course it is.

The reason we see colors is because of the wavelengths of light that are reflected by objects, and each color has its own wavelength that is only seen at that wavelength, no matter how different your eyes may be. Its literally impossible for one person to see red and another person to see a different kind of red since the wavelength being admitted from the red object doesnt vary.

• Vsauce had this

In the one episode of vsauce they talked about what we determine to be the correct color but in fact there is no correct color. In fact the color you see as green i could think is red or the color that you think is purple i could think is orange.

• Nope. I am

partially Colorblind. I see colors and associate a name to them, from what I've learned them as, but I fail every color blind test I take. I know the word definition to match the color I see, because that is how I've been taught, but the average person sees the colors I see differently.

Posted by: TUF
  • I believe that

since colors are just illusions and reflections, that depending on our genetic makeup and the differences in our eyes, cause us to see different colors, even though we both, for example recognize a strawberry as "red". This debate I am not really sure on, so I just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

June57 says2013-03-01T16:13:06.300
These types of debates are what people call the "Explanatory gap" where no human can possibly describe to another human, what a certain color is, or what pain feels like, unless you can see, or have experienced pain.