• Of course you racist freaks

Stop judging a Muslim person by the minority of extremist Muslims that are highlighted in the media. If you want to be a racist person and make unfair judgments on people because of their religion, then go ahead, but know, it is not acceptable. Don't think there aren't extremist Christian groups. I bet you barely even know anything about the religion. Go and talk to Pauline Hanson- your perfect for each other.

• Islam and other Religions

To answer this question, you have to put two hats on.
    Hat 1# is that you are a Christian. If you are a Christian, and you take the Bible literally, than you would have to believe that in Timothy 11-12, women should not teach. Just as in the Quran it can say things about infidels, but nobody really takes it literally.
    Hat 2# All religions are not of peace-Stop judging Islam, because every religion justifies something that is horrible. Did you ever remember the Christians during the dark ages. Did you ever remember the time when the Catholic Church was in power. Did you remember when prisoners were tortured in the name of Jesus. Did you ever remember that when Christians spilt blood of peaceful Islamic civilizations, they did it in the name of Christianity's poster boy Jesus Christ. There is no religion that is peaceful. The reason why I answered yes was because you have to judge the people. The people are very peaceful. They use Mohammed's teachings to justify peace. When I ask if I am going to go to hell because I am an Atheist, they always reply it is up to God. If I had to decide which religion I would be in, it would be Islam. Study the golden age of Islam. When women were buried into the dirt by radical Christians, Mohammed taught respect for the women. The left wing should love Mohammed because he taught in giving to the poor, and that when the rich do not give charity, they have disobeyed Allah's natural laws. I never have seen these kind of phrases in Christianity. If Christianity ever becomes charitable, they end up looking like hardcore communists.

• It's unfair to label Islam as a religion of hate

The Islamist extremists use religion as a cover. Sure they want others to follow their religion, but honestly, they're more concerned about politics than religion, but they use religion in order to try and justify their actions. However, the religion they follow is not the true Islam. Islam preaches peace, and after 9/11, most Muslim groups condemned the actions of Al-Qaeda.
    It's unfair to judge Islam as a religion of hate, because of the actions of a few extremists. Would it be fair to accuse all Catholics of being pedophiles when there were only a few priests who were? No. So why should Islam be labelled as a religion of hate?

• Stop defining a religion by the actions of a few

There are thousands of Muslims around the world, yet LESS THAN 1% are part of groups such as ISIS. And even then, the main target of ISIS is non-ISIS Muslims. The media has twisted the actions of these people to make everyone hate them, but you can't judge the actions of all on the actions of a few.

• Of course it is!

All over the world, there are Muslims radicalists. Many people take their actions to be an example of what Islam is.

That is far beyond what Islam signifies.

I have read parts of the Qur'an. I am no Muslim, but I sure do believe in it. Everything that the radicalists are doing does not whatsoever comply with Islam's rules and regulations. The radicalists are twisting and using their religion to have what they want in life, and they are not following the rules whatsoever.

• Islam is the religion of peace

Islam is a religion of peace. IS are not Muslims. A true Muslim will never kill any one. Who ever kills anyone is not a Muslim. And people who think that are jealous of Muslims.And if you read the Quran correctly then you will understand that how peaceful and the only true religion is Islam.

• Religion and People are two different things

I think the religion itself is peaceful, but the interpretations of people, combined with the nature of man (such as greed, lust, power, etc.) results in using a religion as scapegoat or excuse for morally inexcusable actions. As a result, I feel that Islam itself is not violent, but often is picked on due to the high possibility of being misinterpreted.

• I can understand both sides of the argument, but ultimately it's up to individual people

As a non-Muslim, I can appreciate the perspective that Islam can be a different religion to swallow. An uneducated look at the Quran from a non-Muslim can be an eye-opening experience, particularly if you don't understand Islamic jurisprudence or theology, or even the history during the times of the Quran.

Now, many people argue that the Bible is violent - yes, it is; but Christians follow the New Testament and the laws of the NT are what guide most Christians. The NT doesn't include any of the violent and barbaric passages found in the Tanakh (Old Testament), many of which resonate a similar tone as the Quran. This is the Christian argument, and any person who looks with an untrained eye at both texts will be more likely to favour the Christian faith.

On the other hand, I can appreciate the Muslim perspective and I agree that Islamic fundamentalism is practised by a minority of Muslims, and does not represent the majority view.

I am an atheist and do not subscribe to any particular belief. The benefit of Christianity is that it is a relatively easy religion to understand and to follow. It doesn't take much study to become familiar with the basic tenets. However, Islam is different - it is built on a deep tradition of scholarship and philosophy (much like the Jewish faith); and is therefore more complicated to understand. I believe that the key to fighting Islamic fundamentalism is to promote the an understanding of Islamic Jurisprudence and theology so that we as non-Muslim can better understand the faith.

• It is No Less Violent Then Any Other

If you read the Qur'an in the correct context (I recommend getting a Shiite commentary book) then you will understand. Islam is a religion of peace. If you stop concentrating on the parts where it talks about the Arab pagans, and focus on the parts of peace, love, and compassion, then you'll understand. These "violent" verses refer to a war going on at the time between the Muslims and the Pagans. Let me tell you who the pagans were: These were the same people who were so upset with the birth of a daughter, that they would bury a newborn daughter in the sand. Now you see who it refers to.

• ISIS is a terrorist, but that doesn't mean all Muslims are.

ISIS is an extremist and terrorist group. They want the old version of Islam back. That was violent, but now, most Muslims are peaceful. I actually think ISIS lied about wanting old Islam back. I think they just want to kill. But how am I to know for sure? I'm not one of them ( You could know because of what I'm doing now). Anyway, ISIS aren't regular Muslims. So that rules out ISIS. Now, if you didn't have ISIS, all the Muslims are peaceful.

• No, it is not.

Like ISIS is the number one reason why people like die. Like they terrorize lots of people and stuff. They commit sexual acts against goats which is considered like wrong. Bestiality is an offence. Islam also has a big reputation for self harm. Like I know I occasionally cut myself and post photos on Facebook but that's acceptable because people know my problems and stuff. But these Islam guys need to sort their stuff out and not be such a aggressive religious people. Maybe they should do some yoga.

• Islam is not a religion of peace, and here's why.

So, lets say we have two Muslims, Jim and Bob. Bob is a "good" Muslim, while Jim is a "bad" Muslim. Now, them being good and bad has nothing to do with right or wrong, it has to do with which ever one follows the Quran completely, and thoroughly. Being that Bob is a "good" Muslim, he is going to follow all the rules and "regulations" that are laid out in this "Holy Book", while Jim, will not. You'll see why you're going to like Jim a lot more than Bob in a second.

Bob is going to do everything that Jim would normally do, but more. He is going to "kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out. And Al-Fitnah [disbelief or unrest] is worse than killing... But if they desist, then lo! Allah is forgiving and merciful. And fight them until there is no more Fitnah [disbelief and worshipping of others along with Allah] and worship is for Allah alone. But if they cease, let there be no transgression except against Az-Zalimun (the polytheists, and wrong-doers, etc.)" (Translation is from the Noble Quran) The verse prior to this (190) refers to "fighting for the cause of Allah those who fight you"

That's straight from the Quran.

Anyway, being that Jim is a person of peace and isn't mentally insane, he's not going to follow this verse, and rightfully so. However, him not following his "Holy Book" of peace completely and thoroughly like Bob, the terrorist, would, labels him a "bad" Muslim.

Islam is NOT a Religion of peace.

http://www.Thereligionofpeace.Com/quran/023-violence.Htm

• Bad news for the infidel.

"Whenever you encounter the infidels, strike off their heads until you have made a great slaughter amongst them, and of the rest make fast the fetters."

Qur'an, Sura of Mohammed, verse 3.

Modern translation: Whenever you find non-muslims, kill them. Behead them. Massacre them. Anyone that survives must be enslaved.

This is a direct command from their holy prophet himself. I don't know about you froos4077 but a direct command from Mohammed sounds like "true Islam" to me. That combined with the fact that they hate us and cry "death to America! Death to the great Satan!" Makes Islam sound very UN-peaceful to me.

• Of course not:

There is no such thing as a "religion of peace". There is actually no such thing as a philosophy of peace since any given definition of peace is pursued in a way that somehow terminates another method and, ultimately even if unintentionally, must combat its opposition in some manner whether it be with physical violence or political manipulation.

• Looking both at history and current affairs, I'd say no

According to the Encyclopaedia of Wars, only 7 percent of wars fought on Earth were fought purely for religious reasons. But apparently, Islam contributed to 4 percent of wars on Earth, making it the most warring religion on Earth.

Also, the crusades, which Christians often get beating up for, was a response to invasions of Christian lands by the Ottoman Empire. So, both the past and the present show Islam to be the most violent religion on the planet.

That being said, the amount of bloodshed caused by Islam. Or any other religion, minuscule. Most wars and bloodshed have been because for political conflict or territorial and resource conquest.

Another fact is that Atheist leaders have been fairly few, but they've caused a disproportionate amount of bloodshed.

• To many violent verses.

Although it is not the only violent religion, It contains too many violent verses that promote hate and discrimination. When you have such holy books, it is crazy to think the religion is peaceful. Allow saying terrorists aren't real muslims doesn't solve anything. They read the same book as normal muslims, yet they interpret it differently. The problem is the religion.

• It can be interpreted differently.

Since there's no correct interpretation of any religion, every interpretation, and it's consequences can be blamed on the source material. In this case, the Quran, which Islam is based off of. If the Quran can contain passages that would lead people to believe that terrorism and violence are the will of God, then a religion based off of that book cannot truly be a religion of peace. There's no way to tell that a peaceful Muslim's interpretation of a 2000 year old book is any more correct than a terrorist's.