It says in the story of noah that god regretted making man on the earth. Does this mean god is not all knowing?

Asked by: steffon66
  • Yes it does

If god regretted making man and he knew he would regret making man before he created them then he wouldnt have created them. He is supposed to be perfect and all knowing which means he wouldnt do something that wouldnt have a good outcome. And there he was displeased with the outcome of his creation, he regretted it, and his heart was troubled.

• God is ALL KNOWING

Just because he regretted it, doesn't mean he didn't know he was going to. God knows everything you conceal, and what you publicise and to whom it is given too. He is the most compassionate, the most merciful, and he is indeed the all knowing. Most wise. Almighty God is 1

• Among other Biblical evidence.

Some will say it was free will that allowed an all powerful god to simply wring his hands in grief at our decisions.

He then proceeded to flood the entire planet and kill everyone he deemed unfit to carry on.

Obviously free will isn't a factor.

Some will say it's metaphorical, and "see what he meant to say was..."

Isn't it a curiosity how the creator of the universe is so incredibly inept at communicating with us?

I could think of 10 ways with my human brain (which to God must be nothing) that could cut the Bible down to about 5 pages and be 1000 times less convoluted and immoral.

Some will say it was just a simple mistranslation, and he was simply grieving in the sense of being sad, not regretting in the sense of "I wish I could take it back"

Except he pretty clearly meant the second one.

What's interesting here is he didn't regret having to KILL everyone, or to fix the mess he created, or to start over.

He regretted the inciting incident, making us at all.

Telling your 10 children "I wish I never had you" and then killing 9 of them means:

"You were a mistake and I shouldn't have made you"

and could in no way be confused with

"I love you but this behavior makes me disappointed in you"

• All knowing? You're kidding right.

Sodom and Gomorrah, and the flood instantly comes to mind as examples where god went, of crap I messed up. I'm going to restart the game. Cain, and the Jews are probably the best examples of people who god was present in their life. They had witnessed the power of god, literally knew he existed, and yet Cain killed his brother because god has some weird fetish with blood sacrifices, or he's just anti-vegetarian. And the Jews only took, what a week, without Moses since he was on the mountain getting the commandments for them to forsake the god that had made all the magic stuff they'd seen since leaving Egypt. They had seen proof with their own eyes and they had less faith than modern Christians who have zero proof. Isn't that a bit backward?! Continuing if he's all knowing why does he keep needing all the reassurances, he's always making his followers prove their devotion again and again like some sort of insecure kid. If he already knows the outcome isn't it just psychological torture to put them through all those stressful "trials"?

• Just one of the many contradictions in the not so good book.

First and foremost, the story isn't even of the Jewish tradition, but is of the shared Assyrian heritage of the Abrahamic religions. The story of Gilgamesh pre-dates any accounting of Noah, and enumerates the exact series of events, sans the personification of god.

This Assyrian/Sumerian historic/myth text is the basis for the Noah story. It was taken by the Jews and transformed over the years through oral tradition.

The name Gilgamesh is lost, and replaced over 1000 years. The bible, especially the old testament, should be taken with a tremendous grain of salt. Most of it is mistranslation, the rest exaggeration.

• Is it me or is Christianity interpreted as it seems fit?

To PUranov:
    1- Please understand that there is a large quantity of atheists with religious past. Therefore, I suggest you think about... Stuff related to it.

2- Humans were not made with free will. Adam and Eve were clearly restricted of many rights. They were deprived of knowledge and were told to not to eat the fruit from the Forbidden Tree. They weren't given free will and decision over their lives. They were to live like idiots never knowing anything, never to do anything.

3- ''God knew some would turn away and do bad things'' God was disappointed in Adam and Eve for eating the fruit; he didn't predict that, did he? He didn't. The same applies for the Flood. Why did he kill all those humans, if we were given free will and choice over the outcome of our lives? That's right. We weren't.

4- And for your so ever benevolent god, why did he let the wars happen, if you religious believe they're so atrocious? Out of all people, Jews, who believe in ''Adonai'' suffered the most in the Second World War.

• Of course it Does:

Having regrets, means God is not Omniscient as God would have known it was going to regret putting mankind on the planet.
    Thus knowing it would regret it, is a great reason not to put mankind on the planet.
    To do something and then regret doing it later, means you did not know you were going to regret it.
    Genesis 6:6 is proof that God is not Omniscient!

To PUranov:

• He doesnt even exsists.

The noah story it self is impossible. A gigant flod coudnt flod the whole world, there would still be many many high areas that would look out of the water and there is not enought water on earth to make aflod it with a storm. Plus if he had 2 specimens of each animal, what about parasites and there are also some predators that can predate on specific species, what about that. And everyone forgets about the plants and fungis. And a jet bigger question is about Protozoa. We know that there is no biological, geographical or physical ways god could exsist. And if everything would be floded than all the salt would land on the soil and land, this would destroy a lot of the flora and fauna. And why just noah, what if there were people with ideas, or other nice people, did they all die? I wonder if someone build also a ship and survived the flod too?

• An all knowing god would have no reason to punish.

Many Christians imply that mankind is punished because of their choice to do evil things. That it is because of our free will. They also claim that god is all knowing and that he has a plan for each of us. If an all knowing god who would plan our moves determines our fate, how could we be responsible for our actions when they are part of the gods plan? Look at it this way, if I planned to stage a protest and knew who would join me. Of those people, I knew a number that would react violently to law enforcement and that they carried weapons. I may also know that the local law enforcement would overreact to a protest. In the end, I know that the protest will turn into a mass riot causing multiple deaths. In this scenario, seeing that I would know my plan to start a protest would result in the deaths of others, would I not be responsible for those deaths because they happened according to my plan? Remember, if I am a god, I would also be responsible for the protester to react violently and be armed, I would also be responsible for the overreaction of the police. Both these would be as a result of other actions I knew they would face in the past. I would have taken away the option of free will an imposed my own for the desired effect according to plan. According to this, a god would be the real person responsible yet instead he punishes those who do his bidding according to plan.
    How is it justifiable to punish those who you use to fulfill a plan?

• Of Course Not

All it means is that humans have free will and they can use their free will to do wicked deeds.

All knowing must balance with free will. Humans have the freedom to choose, and in their choices are consequences which they must own up to for those choices they decide on.

• Sorry, but no.

Just because you have regrets does not mean you would not have done it. God understood much more than us that the flood had to happen to give us an example of how the wicked will be treated. It also was a story of forgiveness as God promised to never cause something of that magnitude. Getting more to point, I do not see how regret has anything to do with being omniscient. I look back and have regrets but I don't think I would have lived life any differently than I have, even with those regrets as they made me stronger in the end. I do not believe the regret was that he is not all-knowing and so was regretting doing it in the first place but was regretting in a sense that he was sorry that it had to happen. It had to happen and He knew it but he was still deeply saddened because he end many lives.

• No it does not.

Satan was in control of the people at this point. The Bible says that Noah and his family are the only righteous people left on the planet. After God instructed Noah to build the arc, He said to Noah, "Go and warn the people." God gave them a choice. Redemption on the arc, or death in the flood. As for the arguments stating that there is not enough water, or there are other things here today, remember, God is almighty and can do what He wants.

• The bible is fact, and Truth does not change due to your ability to stomach it.

" "Now the earth was corrupt in God’s sight and was full of violence. 12 God saw how corrupt the earth had become, for all the people on earth had corrupted their ways."" God knew what would happen. He knew that people would be wicked. God gave people free will. (And if you disagree with that statement, Adam and Eve did have free will, they ate the fruit even though God said don't. And God said don't eat it in the same way a mom says to a child "don't touch the knife ,it will cut you." But, like kids, we disobey anyways.) You may ask, well why did he even create those people if he knew what would happen? Think about it like this, If you bought your teenager a car, and they were horrible drivers, you know they will crash that car. You hope they wont, but once they do, you arn't surprised, but you will regret buying the car. Also, had God not made those people, Noah would not have existed. If Noah didn't exist, then we are all missing one big link on our family tree. So, none of us would be born. Now some of you ask this also, Why does God let bad things happen? If He is all knowing and all powerful, then why does it happen? Why are there so many poor? I used to ask the same thing. But then I realized, I sit at home all day (Im only 16 so I just have school), and I have money I don't NEED. I could help so mch by just giving a little. And can you imagine if every person gave just 10 dollars to help?

• Is there any online forum about general religion that atheists haven't infiltrated?

They pose these questions not looking for answers or honest discussion, but to make a point and spread their views. Are you atheists calling your non-belief a religion? Why do you haunt these places? One atheist question after another after another. This is a debate forum but there's hardly any debate here. Just a stream of copy and paste from atheist web sites.

God made man in his image and with free will. We are not robots, forced to carry out God's every instruction. He lets us choose, even if it turns out completely opposite from his will. He allows man to have the choice in the outcome of his life. It wasn't that God wished he hadn't made man, but he was grieved at what they had done. (You know, "regret" is only ONE possible translation). He could have easily destroyed all traces of man, as if man never existed, but he didn't. He was saddened though when almost all people chose against him, which also happens to be against the very definition of good (God's will).

God knew some would turn away and do bad things, but some would align their lives with his will, bringing great joy, both for God and man, both in this life and after. But evidently most don't know this and many are too arrogant, proud, and hardheaded to even consider it.

• No, God is still all knowing.

The thing about God was that He gave mankind free will, so even if He knew they were going to do something terrible, nothing could be done about it, because God doesn't go against His word. It would be like if you gave your teenage kid the keys to the car. You might totally know they're gonna wreck it, but you're just hoping they don't, even though you feel it in your gut that you will. And you can't take the keys away because you already said you'd let them drive. If they come back with a totaled car, you are going to regret having given them they keys and the car, even though you knew what would happen.

• He doesnt even exsists.

• No, the Bible has an element of literature to it. Not every phrase is taken literally to that degree. No one ever said it did!

I believe another way of stating what was said is to say that God was grieved by what he had created. The passage was meant to describe God's emotional state not his mental state. God certainly could know what was coming and still feel sorry that He had made them.

LogicalLunatic says2014-09-01T20:04:23.893
Let's say that an angel tells you that in 5 days your best friend will steal $3000 from your bank account. Though you know this and it will happen regardless, you still regret it happening.
steffon66 says2014-09-01T20:08:04.607
First off im a human with only 5 days to prepare for it. He is an all powerful god who had eternity to prepare for it. By the time it had happened he should have already been planned for it and maybe if he was all knowing and had planned for it it wouldnt have ended up that way. Noahs family was saved because they were taught by noah. The world was clearly not lacking anything but good teachings. Wander why he killed the children and animals as well as the wicked adults? Did the children deserve to die too?
steffon66 says2014-09-01T20:08:49.410
Should have already been prepared for it*
LogicalLunatic says2014-09-01T20:12:28.580
But as humans had free will, God could not (well, technically He could but He wouldn't) make all the humans magically turn good. And the fact that He knew about it way way way in advance does not mean that it didn't still break His heart. And as for the children, they are most likely in Heaven now, so in a way they were probably done a huge favor.
steffon66 says2014-09-01T20:38:52.527
Your right. It still could have broken his heart but it would have broken his heart a long time ago and he would have been prepared for it. If you pay attention to the story youll know that the world was evil because everybody in it lacked good teachings. Children were taught be wicked men everybody was abused as a child and nobody really had a chance. And i would argue that if everyone was evil they didnt have the ability to be good. When every single person does something its safe to say they dont have free will in the matter and that they have to do it. Especially if they have nothing but reasons to not do it and they still all do it. Ok so if we were doing those kids a huge favor then why dont we kill kids today who are in a bad situation or kids who are going to most likely starve to death or become slaves. Its ok for god to do it but not us? And why would god have allowed the last generations to go through what he saved these children from. You think the world got evil overnight?