It seems like provocative humor is the only thing you can find on TV. Do you think today's comedy and satire entertainment cross too many boundaries?

• Bring back the Cosby Show!

There is no "taste" in comedy these days. I was raised watching good hearted comedic television; sitcoms such as Growing Pains, Family Ties, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, The Hogan Family, The Cosby show. The shows were good natured, family oriented, and they all taught a valuable moral lesson that you could apply to life. Sex was a taboo topic, vulgarity did not exist. And life was much more innocent and enjoyable back then. Today's comedy shows are centered around adult sexual relationships, depraved and perverted homor, and all around raunchiness. Thats great--- if you're a degenerate. It used to be the norm for family to gather around the television and watch a good hearted family sitcom; this type of entertainment is obsolete now. What do you sit down and watch together as a family? I sure hope it is not Charlie Sheen bedding down another woman or a gay couple making out. The declining values of our society is incredibly appalling and its evident that if we don't change the entertainment that we subject ourselves to for the better, we will destroy ourselves from the inside out.

• Slapstick Use To Be Funny

I do believe a lot of entertainment and humor crosses too many boundaries in today's societies. The classes are further stratified today than they have been in the past and because of this I believe we have some groups of people with ideals that juxtapose others ideals. Entertainment seeks to gratify the younger crowd first and the older crowd second. When I was younger slapstick was considered funny, now it's not funny unless someone literally breaks a leg or ends up in the hospital.

• I agree with the subject

I totally agree with the opening statement. The only thing that we see today on tv and everything else is sex, sexual talk and everything and anything about sex. We jst cant escape it! Even when I want to sit down and watch a nice innocent movie, there are some adds which stretch way to far beyond the boundary. We are seriously not safe!!!

• I believe that provocative humor has continually crossed the boundary lines in television today, because writers don't seem to consider the number of children who may be watching.

Humor is an amazing way to connect to one another and enjoy spending time with people. However, whenever it is taken to the provocative side of humor on television, it has crossed the boundary line. It is okay to a point, but we also have to consider if young children or teens will encounter these types of comedic shows.

Posted by: AmazingJunior58
  • I believe that comedy and satire today does indeed cross to many boundaries.

Jokes are becoming more and more vulgar, causing kids to ask questions about and be exposed to sexual subjects much earlier than they are ready. The culture is also getting more and more desensitized to violence, issues of race, gender, religion and age. Racy jokes are becoming more commonplace even on prime-time television, a time when families used to be able to watch television shows together.

Posted by: MonserratC
  • I agree that comedy crosses too many boundaries.

Intelligent, worthwhile comedy is hard to come by and it's difficult for the average person to write. Comedians go for the obvious and easy laugh by talking about subjects that really don't need to be canvassed and could be highly offensive to those in the general public. The fact that society is willing to go along with it and laugh says more about how low we've sunk than it does about the comedy itself.

Posted by: N3vinFace
  • I think that TV humor is very funny because it pokes fun at many different things which shows that we are a diverse culture.

TV now is humorous to so many people because it makes fun of everyone. No matter who you are, your beliefs, your race, or your political views there are shows that will make you out to be a bad person or a good person. I think this is a good thing because people will take themselves less serious and will be able to find humor in themselves and others. It is to be hoped that by seeing humor in others and themselves people will be able to be more accepting of others.

Posted by: BIG
  • Today's humor is bad for society and for humor.

When we as a society think that being funny is making fun of people, and then making fun of them again, then well we are no longer funny. For example Sarah Palin was made fun of for being a women, for being stupid and for being from Alaska. This was "funny" yet it then continued to border on mean.

Posted by: ladgerda
  • Yes, I agree that today's comedy and satire entertainment crosses too many boundaries because they expose things to children that they have no business seeing/hearing at that age.

When I was younger the most provocative show on TV was 'Married with Children' and it would be considered clean compared to what is on TV now. I watch TV daily, and it never ceases to amaze me that shows like 'Two and a Half Men' will actually say and do on TV when I feel like that is a prime time air spot that families will be watching during or after dinner. These shows no longer have any good role models, all of the main characters are divorced, drunks and just general buffoons, which is sad if that is what this country is made up of now.

Posted by: P0PuI4rDougI
  • NO Today's comedy is perfectly fine

Now when I say that today's comedy is Perfectly fine, that is not the equivalent to "perfectly acceptable". I say that it is fine one, because entertainment I believe, was meant to be provocative. Not provocative as in vulgar and offensive, but provocative as in actually thought provoking. Today's comedy does that perfectly. So perfectly, in fact, we're actually questioning whether or not material crosses lines. It is also OK because everyone has freedom of speech. Technically if we put some line of demarcation in entertainment that would spark the debate of how much freedom we truly have of the different types of mediums at our disposal.

• Provocative humor does not cross too many boundaries, because it has to cross them in order to be provocative.

If people are offended by the humor on television today pushing their buttons, that's only a sign that the humor is doing its job. The whole point is to expose mental tensions and press on them in such a way that those tensions are relieved through laughter. That means the humorists have to cross boundaries. If you offend no one, no one is laughing.

Posted by: FlakyHerb64
  • I do not think that today's entertainment crosses too many boundaries since it is a direct reflection of what the general public is demanding.

I do not think that today's comedy and satirical entertainment is crossing too many boundaries; in fact, I think it is largely rehashing what has already been said and done. Provocative humor is far older than most people realize; just as every old generation complains about the fashion and music of every new generation, so too they complain about humor and television. Look at the famous comedic work of Benny Hill, or even further back to Shakespeare, and you can see that raunchy humor is a very old tradition.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • Today's comedy and satire entertainment do not cross too many boundaries, because of the freedoms we have to express ourselves.

Today's comedy and satire entertainment do not cross too many boundaries, because of the freedoms we have to express ourselves. We are living in an era when people can say and do whatever they want, because of technology and openness. Entertainment is just mimicking what is common in our current culture.

Posted by: WardGrad
  • No, because humor is often, by its nature, offensive to some, but the results play out in the marketplace.

If a comic goes too far, he definitely risks a loss of popularity. So, in effect, such things can promulgate responsible self-censoring. There have been many occasions where a comedian went too far and paid the price. So, I believe the whole system, in many ways, regulates itself. Whether the issue is timing, possible racism, or whatever, a comedian takes a huge career risk when he ventures into touchy material.

Posted by: tabundes
  • No, humor knows no boundaries other than what people find interesting and funny, as long as the audience is warned in advance of any potentially offensive topics there is nothing wrong with what comedy is doing today.

Comedy changes with the times, and a good comedian reacts to what their audience will find funny. No comedian routine is ever made to please everyone, they work for the audience in front of them. As long as the TV station has a warning about the potentially offensive content before the show comes on the air there is nothing wrong with what ever it may show. If people do not like what they see they can always change the channel, it is not like they are being forced to watch the material.

Posted by: H_Baird
  • If you want to find provocative comedy on TV, you can find it. But you can find much that is not so. You have to set your own boundaries and be selective.

If people find provocative humor funny, then it's not going to go away. The people are given what they want. The individual has to set their own boundaries and be selective. There is a lot more on TV than provocative comedy. I don't watch today's sitcoms because I don't find them funny. But freedom of speech is there for a reason it will continue. Watch something else, like TVLand!

Posted by: JeffP4ri5
  • No, today's entertainment provides joy to the people.

No, I totally disagree that the today's comedy and satire entertainment cross too many boundaries. It seems like provocative humor is the only thing you can find on TV. In today's world people are so busy and stressed out they can't appreciate what is joy and what is pain, happiness and sadness. But today's comedy and satire entertainment provides a means to laugh and to smile with each other. So, today's entertainment in no way crosses too many boundaries.

Posted by: I0rFashion
  • I do not believe today's comedy crosses the line because of freedom of speech.

While I may not find today's comedy funny or entertaining, they have the right under freedom of speech to write however they want and if people do not like the product produced, they do not have to watch it. If the people do not like what they see, they will not watch and then the stations will cancel the shows and steer their programming in another direction. Thus, demand drives the programming.

Posted by: SascM0n
  • I don't think comedy and satire cross too many boundaries; rather the population has become too sensitive and has forgotten how to laugh itself.

"On-the-edge" comedy and satire have long been Americas' voice, helping to point out wrongs of others and continuously trying to remind the population that we have to be able to laugh at ourselves. Dave Chapell was berated by many for his use of the "N" word is his show. His reply simply stated that by using the word often and in conjunction with humor, he believed it would start to desensitize the word and take away its ability to harm. I believe that it the purpose of most writers and comedians that use edgy comedy and satire.

Posted by: BrianDj