It should be called gun privileges rather then gun rights.

Asked by: JaneDoe625
  • Guns are way to easy to get a hold of.

It makes me nervous that someone could go out and get a gun without any mental checks, they could be without crime but be planning it and have no problem getting a gun. It makes me really nervous. I also hate that people get so up in arms about it.

• More of a privilege

Owning a firearm in my opinion is more of a privilege than a right. Self-defense is the right, guns are the methods. People tend to take a constitutional perspective when it comes to gun ownership, the Second Amendment guarantees the right to bear arms, but that does not mean gun ownership is a inherent human right.

• Big big contradiction.

Um... Anyone notice that the right to keep and bear arms was in the bill of RIGHTS for a reason???

Also, yes there are limits on the Second Amendment. Are rights completely not limitable? The First Amendment has been restricted, but it's not under fire. The right to vote is somewhat restricted, and it's still called a right. Why does having restrictions on the 2nd Amendment make it any less a right than any other right in the Bill of Rights or in the Constitution in general? Limiting it doesn't automatically make it a privilege.

• It's the right to self defense

Guns are used hundreds of thousands of times a year to save people from crime and 400,000 of those times are to save people from death (doj). It is our right to own a gun so they are able to defend them selves. Criminals will get guns anyway so the good guys should be armed. Criminals also can use strength to rape or kill someone. It is the right of a 100 pound women to use a gun against a 200 pound rapist.
    In the constitution it says "right" not privilege.

• Should it be called privilege of speech/religion?

Your right to own a gun is your right to defend yourself against threats, both domestic and abroad. Your right to self defense precedes any formation of either civilization or government. In nature, if an animal tries to kill another animal, that animal would not think twice about killing its attacker to preserve its own life. If someone attacks you, you have every right to defend yourself, whether your government says so or not. Guns are not a privilege that the government gives you. It's a right that they can't take away.

• Fills up headline

No, because it's a right. I have the right to defend myself and my family from harm, that's all there is to it.

Here are some random words to fill up the stupid minimum word count: Book, falcon, chair, soldier, orange juice, winter, breath, moment, pipeline, orange, pineapple, hair, scratch.

• Fills up headline

• What about other rights in the Constitution?

Should we have "free speech privileges" instead? "Right to a trial" becomes "the privilege of a trial"?

If you really want to change the rights we have AMEND THE CONSTITUTION!

Amend it or undermine it. We can't just pretend a right we don't like isn't in the Constitution or else everyone else will take advantage of that and then the Constitution will mean nothing!

• Second Amendment, baby.

Mentally stable people have the right to a gun for protection. The right to life and safety should not be violated. Are you honestly saying that people The right to self defense should not be denied. Random word filler here. Silly wabbit, trickss are for kids. No way Jose. I hate this minimum word thing.