Japan only sentences possessors of child pornography to a year in prison. Is the sentence too light?

• Children need to be Protected

Japan should have stiffer penalties for the possession of child pornography. It is much too light of a prison sentence for this kind of offence. Child pornography hurts children. It is horrible abuse which ramifications last into adulthood. Anyone involved in the distribution or possession of child pornography should be imprisioned for life.

• A 1 year sentence for possession of child porn is much too light

Those in possession of child pornography should be harshly sentenced because they are demonstrating that they are and likely to in the future take advantage of a vulnerable population, children. However, I think that this needs to be a case by case decision because an 18 yr old dating a 17 year old who has a sexual picture of his 17 yr old girlfriend on his phone would also be considered as a possessor of child porn.

• Prison will not do anything to stop them in the future.

The fact is that we're talking about a sick fetish. So something that does harm only indirectly by producing demand for more child pornography.
    So I fail to see how jail is an appropriate punishment. No one will just stop their sick cravings because they're in jail, all they'll do is be more careful not to get caught.
    Also child pornography laws are ridiculous. If a 13 year old girl sends a guy a nude pic, it's child pornography. And there have been may cases in which people are punished for things like this.
    We all have to realize that this is a type of crime which isn't controllable, all we can possibly try to do is to stop those making and distributing child pornography, because punishing the guys who are the end recipient is just pointless

• Japans Pornograhy Charges

Japan sentences child pornography holders to a year in prison yet the United States allows them to go free. Prison may not be the right sentence for these people. It will not solve the problem and allows them out to just start all over again. I believe that some reeducation or help is needed instead of just prison sentences.

• No, I think this sentence is not to light.

In my opinion, the sentence of a year in prison for people who possess child pornography in Japan is not too light, because the violators will have enough time to rethink their behavior and choose not to violate the law again. On the other hand, I do think that the second violation of this kind should be more rough.

• It is fair

While I do see the problem with the crime, it is not like murder,rape, drug abuse, grand theft and a one year sentence would be fine. Just watching such content does not make one a certain child molester. A sentence of 1 year is neccesary for making sure people dont abuse the content, though.

• It is fair