Jerry Jones pictures: Should the criminal penalty for extortion be greater?

• Yes, the penalty for extortion should be greater.

It's hard to say whether or not the penalty for extortion should be greater because every situation has its own set of unique circumstances. Never the less, if I had to lean one way or the other, I would without a doubt lean towards more aggressive penalties. Extortion can destroy someone's life just like other crimes that warrant much harsher penalties.

• Yes there should be a hefty criminal penalty for extortion

The group responsible for the potential extortion of Jerry Jones should face a high price in the criminal court. Going after someone knowing they have the money is worse than the average Joe. This group, if caught and found guilty needs to be punished to the fullest extent. It's damaging to his reputation and family.

• No it shouldn't

I think that the criminal penalty for extortion is fine where it is. There is already a pretty stiff penalty for those convicted of extortion. I think this is enough! There is no good reason to make the penalty worse than it already is. Things are fine where they are and just need to be left alone.

• Jerry Jones pictures reflect growing issues celebrities have with extortion

The idea of trying to extort Jerry Jones over some questionable images definitely has the world talking. It's a problem that the celebrity world faces too. In my opinion, this crime isn't as destructive as murder or other criminal acts and shouldn't carry a hefty penalty. That being said, there needs to be a way to stop this type of behavior and it might not have to do with laws. People need to rebuke images that others are profiting from and then there will be no demand to take the pictures in the first place.

• In this particular case...:

The photos were taken of him in lascivious poses that he willfully made. It is not defamation of character in Jones' position therefore I would propose that while there does need to be punishment for extortion attempts and extortion itself there's no reason to increase the weight of the punishment in this case.