Jesus Christ is the foundation of the modern world?

Asked by: OutsideYourBox
  • Jesus Christ set the standard for morality, peace, inner peace, discipline, and to love all people.

Jesus Christ gave people hope and still does due to the fact that he was the perfect example of how to live in life. He provided hope for the poor, helped those in need, provided help to sinners, forgave people from all walks of life and taught sinners the right path. He guided society to become civilised as it is today, provided the teachings in the new testament, caused traditions and cultural values based on him, brought people together, and taught that god loves all people, no matter what. He is central to the biggest religion in the world, which without doubt moulded the world as it is today. There is no doubt in my mind, and i know there is more evidence to why he is the foundations of the modern world today.

• Modern societies are successful to the extent they have rejected religious propositions

There is no doubt that Christianity has had substantial influence on modern Western society. But all the most important elements, and the things that make our society more productive, more peaceful, more innovative, and generally better than crack pot theocracies, are not to be found in Christianity.
    The foundation of the modern (developed and relatively peaceful) world is freedom of speech, thought, and association. The Church has always been a barrier to these. If Jesus was the foundation of the modern world he would have described a viable political system, rather than spending most of his time exorcising demons and performing trivial magic tricks. If Jesus was the foundation of the modern world then it would not have taken 1800 years from his death to devise a system that is remotely similar to the one we have today. Jesus says on the mount that he does not reject a single law of the Old Testament. Every one of those laws is either ridiculously obvious or it has been resoundingly rejected by Western cultures. To the extent he contradicts the more brutal laws of the Old Testament, Jesus does so by preaching a ridiculous form of pacifism - if a thief takes you shirt give him your coat, because you don't need either. Modern society (thankfully) completely rejects that nonsense. MOST IMPORTANTLY, Jesus will punish you for beliefs that you honestly come to hold. In modern (civilized) society this is the worst kind of crime. It is the reserve of the most brutal and abhorrent dictators.

• This one quote alone will show that Jesus was not peaceful, loving, nor moral which is the bases of your argument.

"Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD." --- Matthew 10:34-36

• Jesus was not a man to base a society on.

This is but one example: "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I came to SET A MAN AGAINST HIS FATHER, AND A DAUGHTER AGAINST HER MOTHER, AND A DAUGHTER-IN-LAW AGAINST HER MOTHER-IN-LAW; and A MAN'S ENEMIES WILL BE THE MEMBERS OF HIS HOUSEHOLD." -- Matthew 34-36

• The proposition that Jesus Christ is the foundation of the modern world is completely absurd.

The modern world, at its best, is much more highly evolved than Christ. On average, also, the modern world has nothing to do with Christian principles. Economic systems and competing political goals that are contrary to or completely unrelated to Christian principles have much more to do with way the world is.

• No, he isn't.

While Christianity has had many positive and negative influences on the world, it is fortunately NOT the foundation.

The only vote on the "YES" side fails to explain why Jesus would be this foundation, and to follow suit, I'm not going to bother arguing why Jesus would have anything to do with the basis of our world.

If you have evidence to this point, I'd gladly see it offered in the comments section.