Joe McKnight shooting: Is manslaughter a fitting charge for his killer?

• yes it is a fitting charge

on a roadside in a New Orleans suburb, Ronald Gasser shot and killed unarmed 28-year-old Joe McKnight in an incident the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office is calling “road rage.” The decision to release Gasser just hours after shooting the former NFL running back ignited nothing short of rage. whatever be the case manslaughter is a fitting charge for his killer

• No, manslaughter is not a fitting charge for the killer of Joe McKnight

No, manslaughter is not a fitting charge for the killer of Joe McKnight. The shooter has a history of road rage. Furthermore, he should not have been driving around with a loaded gun in the car. In addition, there is a possibility that the shooting was partially motivated by race. There was no reason for the shooting as the shooter did not believe that his life was in danger.

• No, I do not believe this was manslaughter.

I do not believe manslaughter is a fitting charge for this crime. Although the defendant was potentially antagonized in a heated argument with Joe McKnight I do not feel this is any excuse to lower the charge to manslaughter. From my awareness of the case, Joe McKnight did not draw a weapon even though he had access to one, and the defendant was in the safety of his car at the time of the shooting. Although it may have been provoked, I believe a charge of homicide would be more fitting.

• No, I don't think so.

No, I do not believe that manslaughter is a fitting charge for the killer of Joe McKnight. It was road rage gone amuck. The killer intentionally picked up a gun, pointed it, and fired. This is not manslaughter, this is more akin to murder. Manslaughter would be accidentally running someone over with a car, or tripping and falling on someone and giving them a heart attack. This is nothing like that. This is intentional shooting. Manslaughter is not a fitting charge.