John Davis, creator of Jimmy Neutron series credited with encouraging men to become astronauts: Have most people been influenced in their lives by a particular author or book?

• At some point

That may change as we read less and less as a society. Most of my generation 80's kids did have at least one book or story that inspired or influenced us. However kids read less and have a lot more competing for their time in terms of social media and internet access, so the impact of a special book or character hopefully won't cease, but it will likely be less prevalent.

• Yes, they have.

If not a book, because they are not huge readers, they have a favorite movie or musical artists that influences them. We idolize these people and they help us to form our world view. I can definitely think of a few books and movies that have influenced me and my goals.

• Every person has a childhood hero.

Every person has someone that they looked up to as a child. Many people look up to athletes. Some people look up to politicians. These people have a profound impact on what a person might decide to do. The influence can inspire and encourage, as well as teach the children about what they might do as adults.

• Yes, I think so.

The right book, it’s said, can change your life. Some books can alter perceptions of the world, or let a reader see life from a perspective they may never have considered before. Others expand the sense of what’s possible within the confines of a narrative; still others tell stories that the reader might not have ever expected to find themselves hearing.