Laverne Cox: Is the transgender actress' Emmy nomination a game-changer?

• Not a game changer

In my opinion electing the first black President, or woman President (2016) is a game changer. Having openly gay sports players coming out is a game changer. This might be a big moment for transgender people but in the large scope of things it's really not that big of a deal.

• Laverne Cox Nomination Not Notable for Gender

Much ado is being made of Laverne Cox being nominated for an Emmy due to her transgendered status. Laverne Cox is simply an excellent actress with a plum role on a highly popular and critically acclaimed show. To state that her nomination is related to or prompted by her transgendered status seeks to diminish her talent and accomplishments.

• No, I don't believe it is.

While it is great to see a trans-person nominated for an award I don't think this is too shocking in Hollywood. Hollywood is usually the most liberal and accepting group in the nation and it actually surprises me that this hasn't happen sooner. I also think it's a step in the right direction that this isn't attracting much attention cause it shows that it is being normalized.

• It doesn't need to be

Laverne Cox deserves her Emmy nomination, but it doesn't need to be anything other than a deserving woman being nominated for an award. Providing that awards committees continue to recognise great work, whoever it comes from, in the future there should be no need to comment on whether an actor or actress is a member of particular group or minority.