Leonard Cohen starts smoking again at 80: Is it worth it to pick up deadly habits again in old age?

• Yes, I think so.

Leonard Cohen’s decision to take up cigarettes again at 80 reveals a well-kept secret about older age: you can finally live it up and stop worrying about the consequences shortening your life by much. Risk taking is not such a risk anymore, given the odds. Of course, some take that more literally than others. I don’t plan to do a parachute jump when I turn 90, as President Bush #1 did. However, a new breath of freedom (and less worry) is an unexpected and pleasant benefit of older age that isn’t well known.

• You might as well.

It's important to have fun and live life. If a person wants to smoke at age 80, they don't have much time left. They might as well do what they want, even if that means abusing their body a little bit. It's more fun not to worry about consequences and have a fun life than to be stressed out all the time.

• No, it is not worth it to pick up deadly habits again in old age.

No, it is not worth it to pick up deadly habits again in old age because these bad habits will only slow you down. You should embrace life no matter how old you are. You should try to fight no matter what. It is not right to give up just because you are old.

• Longevity is better than recklessness

No, I don't think it is worth it to pick up deadly habits again in old age. Just because one has reached an old age doesn't mean that they should be reckless with the years that they have left to live. Especially dangerous habits that they gave up when they were younger. Doing so could seriously effect the quality of your life and those around you.