Library Video Games: Are public libraries sending a good message to our youth by providing video games?

• Video games are the opposite of unhealthy.

In fact, studies show that video games have helped dyslexic kids read better and have helped stroke victims fully recover. And much to my surprise games like Call of Duty can even improve eyesight. Of course too much time playing video games can be unhealthy, but too much of anything can be a bad thing. I fully support video games and hope that in the future, they will be encouraged instead of looked down upon.

• Public libraries are sending a good message to our youth by providing video games

Public libraries are sending a good message to our youth by providing video games because it at least forces these young skulls full of mush to get out of the house and go to an actual library. Maybe, just maybe, some of these kids will pick up a real honest to God book.

• Yes, in some cases.

Yes libraries are sending a good message to youth because most games are learning games. Also, it shows kids that they have a choice. If they are forced to only get books they most likely will not even want to visit the library. They may go into the library looking for a game but end up seeing a book they are interested in.

• Yes, public libraries are sending a good message to our youth by providing video games.

Yes, public libraries are sending a good message to our youth by providing video games because a lot of these games are educational. Plus, children may begin to learn better if they are playing a game. Kids can get excited about going to the library when there are video games.

• Yes, they are.

Video games are just one method of entertainment. Libraries have provided books, movies, music, and videos for decades, but because of a smear campaingn by a politicians wife, video games still have a stigma of being bad for you and not for children. Some video games even teach valuable skills.

• No, public libraries should not provide video games.

I do not think that public libraries should provide video games. In my opinion, I do not think that video games provide or encourage healthy habits. Many people that play video games sit down and play them for several hours. It is not healthy and is a way to "turn the mind off" for several hours. Reading promotes new ideas and going outside is healthy.