Lowering the voting age to 16: Should the voting age be lowered to 16?

• We Need to Change With the Times

All the people on here talking about how immature teens are, are really starting to piss me off. Teenagers aren't only the stupid kids you see getting busted for drinking or partying. Those people give all of us a bad name. I'm 15 myself. I helped my dad with college math, and had political talks with my mom. You can talk about stupid teenagers who do what their friends want all you want, but grown adults do the exact same thing. We should have as much say in our future as you do.

• voting age should be lowered to 16

Voting age should be lowered to 16. Young people are active and informed. Lowering the voting age would help bring more informed and active voters and will help keep the politicians in check. Young people would help bring a diverse perspective and their inclusion in the pool of voters will make politicians think about them.

• We deserve to be listened to

Teens are of the second generation and when the previous generation dies, we will be the ones to make the decisions. This is our world as well! Also, we need practice for this sort of thing in the future, and when we are 18 and what we call ready now, we will need a rough idea about what is coming, and it won't suffice to practice it in the classroom, we need to be properly prepared.

• We deserve to be listened to

• We deserve to be listened to

• It would increase participation

At 18 most people are starting college. They're busy saying goodbye to friends, figuring out what they'll need, and settling in to dorms. This means that many won't remember to register or have the time to. In many states you have to be present to vote in your first election. This is problematic because many college students go to school several hours away from home and they still have classes on election day. If we lower it to 16 more people will be able to vote in their first election and it will start a habit that will continue for the rest of their lives.

• Well, OF COURSE!

Why not? Don't you think teens should have freedom??? Decide their future??? Have a good life??? You may think that 16 year olds are immature, but if you take a good look at the evidence then you are wrong!!! Think about it. Saying "NO" is the same thing as saying "No! You Are NOT Allowed To Pick YOUR OWN Future!" Peace Out GILR SCOUTS!!!

• Teens NEED more freedom to say what they think!!!!

Do you really just want people to control us teens? No? Well, lowering the voting age would give us that other freedom! Ya, maybe some of us teens are dumb, I get that, but that's their problem! What about us teens that are smart and responsible? Did you even think about what we want? Calling all teens dumb is offensive, and I WILL BE DEFENSIVE about that!!!! So back off on us, don't call us dumb, and think about the pros AND cons of lowering the voting age.

• It all depends on their interests

I don't think that ALL sixteen year olds should get the right to vote. Only the most politically engage teens should. Maybe we should set up a separate voting booth only for the politically engaged ones. Then, we can transfer those votes to the real election.. Like have sort of a practice poll to see how and what they do.

• I am split between both sides of the argument but mainly on NO

Many reasons why...
    1. Immature- they are still learning the freedom that is coming to them and they arent going to focus on a little sheet of paper with names
    2. Stress- this stress them out more in life... At 16 they are already looking for colleges and waiting to get accepted ot getting scholarships, adding one more thing to determine their future will just cause a lot of unneeded stress.
    3. Interest- at 16 like i said teens arent interested in that stuff... They are interested in "living the life"
    4. Waste- if teens aren't going to take interest in this then why waste our time letting them choose and why waste space with their vote
    ******* I am not saying that all teens are like this, I am just saying that some of them are and that the "typical" teen is... Maybe we should limit the voting tot he teens who actually engaged in politics like start a mini election poll and have the most engaged teens vote and then transfer those votes tot he actual election! :)

• Now injhE fi

16 is too young to vote because they haven't even completed high school, and yet are to mature. Because of this, they are not adequately educated and should not be able to vote. They also cannot research the topic to the best of their ability even if they where capable because they would have too much homework.;

• Now injhE fi

• They aren't mature

At the age of 16 and 17 teenagers can't even sign a phone contract. They still need parental permission to get a tattoo; do we really believe that they should be allowed to decide who it is that runs our country? I myself am a 16 year old and there are very few people I know my age that actually have an interest in the political world. Teenagers have the pressure of making decisions that will literally decide the course of your life, so why would we want to place even more pressure by giving them the option of choosing who runs our country. I honestly think that the cons way out weigh the pros, and the smart decision is to wait until the majority of people are more mature, and not just a small fraction. Overall, there is only a small fraction of 16 and 17 year old's that actually would benefit from this decision, so keeping it at 18 is the right thing to do.

• 16 is to young

No the voting age should not be lowered to 16. Teens spend most of there time on a couch playing video games or on the street selling or doing drugs. Teens at this age should not be able to vote. Having a lack of knowledge will change the way teens think about voting. The won't understand what someone running for prime minister says or thinks. Having 16 year olds vote will change what they think about voting. They won't take it seriously. We have 16 year old kids driving I think that's enough for them to handle in one year.

• 16 is too young, and to immature

16 year old kids at this age don't know much about politics if any, so if they don't have any knowledge about voting or politics, how can they make an accurate vote that will be best for everyone? And if people can't make accurate votes it will affect anyone, and even you. Do you really want you're future to be decided by people who don't even know the topic?

• Nahh bruhh hhh

16 thats too young most of those kids are still in school . They shouldnt waste their time worrying on who they are going to vote for . Although some kids wont even worry at all they would want someone that would legalize marijuana . 16 year olds will not take it serously and they would vote for someone that can destroy our economy

• Nah bruhhh they shouldnt

16 year olds cant even do many things they are still at the age where they care about what there friends say .So they will most likely not take it serious. Also by caring what there ''friends'' say they want to be 'cool' and want someone that will legalize drugs and they wont think because they are not mature enough and they will vote for someone that can destroy the goverment

• Influenced and weak-minded

If given the chance to vote, 16 year olds will probably vote for the politicians who directly help them instead of the country. Politicians might use this strategy in their campaigning. Also 16 year olds might take this lightly and vote for the politicians who their friends are voting for.