Lowering US drinking age from 21 to 18: Are 18 year olds responsible enough to drink?

• Emmanuel is the God

When emmanuel wants something he should have it because no matter what he does he will have rights as a citizen Mexico and he knows to fuck bitches and get money. The bell will ring soon and Emmanuel is crying when he knows it will be alright for America!! Yes

• Emmanuel says he wants it so he will get it

• 18 year olds are considered adults. Treat them like ADULTS

I think it's ridiculous how America gives 18 year olds all these adult responsibilities and yet still treats them like children when it comes to consuming alcohol. As soon as they reach that magical number of 18 they're thrown into the harsh reality of being and adult, which includes being tried as an adult, paying taxes, being FORCED to sign up for the selective service, etc... Yet the thought of them having a beer or two to unwind from all this newfound stress put on them is the end of the world. I think it's one of the big things wrong with America right now. Its completely hypocritical to treat 18 year olds like adults and then tell them to wait three more years before even thinking about touching alcohol. Honestly no one follows this backwards law anyway. I'm currently 18 and alcohol is incredibly easy to get my hands on. Even back when I was 16 I had no problem getting it whenever I wanted and neither did anyone else my age. This age restriction never has and never will work. Might as well make it legal for ALL adults to purchase and consume (adult means everyone 18+ not 21+), because the current law put in place does nothing but cause more problems for everyone

• Not more irresponsible than 21 year olds

Asking whether 18 year olds are as responsible to drink as 21 year olds makes the assumption that 21 year olds today are particularly responsible - they're not. 18 year olds who want to drink can get alcohol, fairly easily, and almost always already drink. The 3 years between 18 and 21 are a joke to most people, and keeping the prohibition in place is pointless.

• Recognize that age restrictions don't work

By making alcohol mysterious it becomes an object of fascination for the youth. Indeed, throughout culture we see the association of youth and alcohol, which may fuel the destructive desire of some misguided young to pursue drugs, fast cars and comic books espousing violence. It is not that giving 18 year olds access to alcohol will make them drink less, but that we accept a responsibility to introduce them to alcohol and have them consume it in a responsible way.

• They can't handle it.

They wont be able to handle the fact that, oh they are drunk. They will start thinking, "Oh, I'm such a rebel because I'm drunk and I din't care about my life. Blah blah blah I could go on forever but I'm not going to do that right now. Bye.