Lowering US drinking age from 21 to 18: Has the 21 age-limit failed to reduce under-age drinking?

• It is an absolute failure.

The 21 age-limit has absolutely failed in reducing underage drinking. Rather than discourage underage drinking, it has turned large amounts of adults (18-20), entrusted with the right to vote and serve in the military, into criminals for merely drinking beer or wine. The drinking age should be lowered to a reasonable age if it is to be taken seriously.

• Yes it should be lower

The only thing about it being at 21 instead if 18 is the fact that it tastes better being illegal. And the minimum age does not stop under age drinking at all me and most of my friends drink or tried it at a young age I personally started at 13 so I don't think that it effects me other than the fact that I can't go a legally buy it. Which means that the government doesn't get as much money because I can't et it faster

• 18 year olds should be able to drink.

18 year olds should be able to make their own decisions when it comes to drinking. At the age of 18, these young adults are allowed to vote, smoke and buy cigarettes, join the military, get married, and more. If they are considered and viewed as mature enough to handle the responsibilities of voting, marriage, and protecting the country, they should be able to be mature and make their own decisions about drinking as well.

• I agree for two points:

The age of 18 is the start of adulthood, and adults should have the right to make their own decisions about alcohol consumption. Turning 18 entails receiving the rights and responsibilities of adulthood to vote, smoke cigarettes, serve on juries, get married, sign contracts, be prosecuted as adults, and join the military - which includes risking one's life- but they still can't get a drink. Also, lowering minimum legal drinking age of 21 would be good for the economy. More people would legally be able to drink in bars, restaurants, and other licensed establishments. Revenue would increase for private business owners, giving them a chance to thrive in the market, and greater amounts of tax revenue would be collected by the government, which could either help pay for a good portion of the debt the U.S. is in or fund more programs to help educate children on the dangers of alcohol.

• Yes I agree

First of all, at eighteen you can be sent to war and killed but not allowed to drink your first beer until your 21? At the age of eighteen, your considered to be an adult and responsible for yourself. I believe that you should be allowed to drink at the age of eighteen. Teenagers are getting ahold of alcohol anyhow and not all teenagers are abusing it.

• Yes I believe that the 21 age-limit on drinking has failed to stop under-age drinking for the most part really.

I think that the drinking age at 21 is too steep for teenagers who just want to drink responsibly and in moderation. I think that, just like with anything, that personal responsibility is a big factor in whether drinking, or not, is appropriate. Making alcohol harder to buy for teenagers will more than likely not stop them from drinking.

• No the drinking age should not be lowered past 21 it should at least go up to 25.

I think that the drinking age should go up to 25,because kids are dying more and more each year from drinking under age. And imagine this, what if you had kids and they are bout 17 and 16 and they ask to go to a friends house, they are responsible and you say "ok, " will you be staying the night or coming home at a certain time". They say "we are going to stay the night". So they do and you as a worried parent the next morning get a phone call saying your sons are in the hospital one is in the ICU and the other is in a minor coma and should awake in three days. And the boys they were with one is dead that's the driver and the other to are in surgery to get out glass and metal from the car crash out, and that is why the drinking age should be up to 25 to limit the number of deaths and the cops need to crack down on this harder have they ever heard of Facebook or twitter or MySpace or have a responsible kid get the info where the party or underage drinking is taken place.