M. Night Shamalyn -- good (yes) or bad (no)?

Asked by: Adam2
  • He seems like an awesome guy

Yes for good, no for bad. This isn't really about his films, but the type of guy he is. He seems like he's chill and down to earth. "Signs" was his best film of all time. I like him. He's intelligent and makes smart movies. One thing I love is his incorporation of culture into his films.

• Not Good At All

Seriously, who keeps giving this guy money to make films? He used to do good films such as The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, but the films he makes these days are so stupid. Signs had a stupid plot twist, The Village was unresolved, Lady in the Water showed how obnoxious he is, The Happening (when not taken as a comedy) is downright horrible, The Last Airbender disrespected the source material, and After Earth was convoluted and a prime example of nepotism.

• After Earth. Period.

Truly, there is nothing more I can say about how terrible this director is. I will never argue his first movies were great(Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense, not Wide Awake) but he then got lazy and started to rely on his reputation. And the most atrocious thing; casting himself in Lady In The Water as an author who's words will be "regarded above all others." How obnoxious is that?

• He has lost my respect.

Some of the older "classic" Shamalyn films were very enjoyable and offered unique ideas for the viewer. I consider Signs to be one of my favorite sci-fi movies and The Sixth Sense has one of the greatest and most well known twists in the history of film. Newer movies like "Avatar: The Last Airbender" used many laughable effects and at a much higher budget.