Master's degree: Is the debt of a master's degree manageable?

• With a good job, yes.

Very few people complete higher education simply for the knowledge. Most people go on to achieve their master's degree because they want better opportunities within the job market. These higher paying jobs are available to those with more knowledge within their field. If you are able to obtain one of these positions, which you should be after completing a master's degree, you should have no trouble managing to pay off your degree.

• not worth the candle: student debt on Master's degree

I am from another generation, when a college degree really was within the reach of many people without mortgaging their entire future. The US ruling class took fright at Sputnik, and threw money at NSF scholarships and such, when I was a sprout. Since 1970, the real wages of working people have gone down, the costs of college have gone up, and the burden has shifted disproportionately onto the students. As an old person, I think it's ridiculous that we don't invest more money in education. But the return on investment, in strict dollar terms, is very bad for a Master's degree. Do consider going to a trade school, such as those that train restaurant employees or bakers, if cost-effectiveness is a central concern.