Medical Malpractice: Should a surgeon be held legally responsible if he removes the wrong body part during surgery?

• Yes, he should be held responsible

The surgeon is also a human being. Its like same as we give our car to the mechanic. There is always a risk. The surgery now a days are transparent and the procedure is usually shown in TV. I think there should be a doctor outside the theater who could see the procedure on TV and makes judgement on any error.

• Should surgeons be held legally responsible

They should be held responsible because if lets say their in brain surgery and they make in little mistake the patient will be dead in a matter of minutes and put onto life support to keep blood flowing to the organs and to bring oxygen to the organs for donations plus they have to wait for consent from their emergency contact to take them off and organ donate

• Yes, I believe the surgeon should be held legally responsible if he removes the wrong body part during surgery.

Yes, I believe the surgeon should be held legally responsible if he removes the wrong body part during surgery because the surgeon knows that he is responsible for the care of the surgery and should take necessary precautions to ensure that no mistakes are made during the procedure. I believe that if a surgeon removes the wrong body part, he should be held responsible.

• Yes, surgeons should be legally responsible for removal of a wrong body part during surgery.

Surgeons must be held legally responsible if they surgically remove the wrong body part from a patient during surgery. There are many safeguards in the medical profession guarding against such errors, and to make such an error is clearly wrong. Patients should have legal remedies available to them when the wrong part is removed from their body during surgery.

• That's just incompetent

Medical malpractice is largely there as protection, but it's also too often used when doctors prove they aren't magicians and can't save everyone. Removing the wrong body part, though? That's just absurd. "Hey, I know it was lung surgery, but we removed the heart instead. Sorry!" No doctor should ever manage to do that barring a mix-up on a form somewhere, which is just as bad.

• Surgeons should be held legally responsible for removing the wrong body parts

Surgeons should be held legally responsible for removing the wrong body parts during surgery. Such negligence should never happen, and should be a physical impossibility if the surgeon and hospital staff are doing their jobs. If a mistake happens, the patient should not be without recourse and the surgeon, as well as any other people involved in the decision, should be held legally and financially responsible.

• Surgery is hard

I may not be a doctor myself, but there seems like there is a lot of body parts in the human body. I mean, sometimes I get my funny bone and my knee mixed up, how are you supposed to tell the difference between the inside organs? Liver? Kidney? I failed biology.