Michelle Karnes says administrators fired her from Stanford after she has reported sexual harassment: Is this kind of behavior common on universities?

• Yes, reporting sexual harrassment could lead be a career limiting move and potentially leading up to being fired.

I know that sexual assault is rampant among women attending universities. I don't think it is a stretch for that to be inclusive of women staff at university campuses either. Sexual harassment can add a very negative spotlight to universities which could lead to profit loss for the school, so I think it is highly probable that she was fired. I feel certain that there are other examples of this type of behavior occurring at other locations as well.

• It's common everywhere

I think this type of behavior is common in many settings, not just in universities. It is not uncommon for sexual harassment to happen in the workplace. It is not even uncommon for women to be punished for reporting the behavior, even when the punishment is masked as something else. It's just too unfortunate that this is still happening to this day.

• It is a dirty secret.

Colleges was to have good public relations. They want parents to think that when they send their precious snowflakes to the university, that nothing bad will happen to the child. For this reason, when bad things happen, universities just push it under the rug, even if someone is victimized in a terrible way.

• I think it does happen

I can't say for sure in this case, but I believe that often universities aren't dealing with sexual harassment either by students or by faculty in direct ways. An investigation at Stanford found that Hinton made unwanted sexual advances towards Karnes. Shortly after she reported the harassment, the wife of one of the deans encouraged her to leave the university. Maybe not a coincidence?!

• Common, I doubt it,

What are we trying now to create another false culture with this.
    I work in the emergency response field. We have had 4 cases of a female employee reporting some form of harassment.
    Funny thing is, in each of those cases the females were given special privilege over other workers after the compliant. Separate office, promotion. It seems like almost a peace offering or a way of satisfying them. Now its become a more common incident as others have learned that they also get privileges s by doing the same.

Posted by: zoo