Military recruiting in public schools: Do military recruiters provide valuable info?

• No, military recruiters do not provide valuable information.

Military recruiters do not provide valuable information to people in schools. I spoke to a military recruiter about becoming an officer after I graduated from college. He advised me that I should enroll as an enlisted and then apply to be an officer. This is simply not true, he only wanted to sign another candidate.

Military recruiters in schools offer information about the benefits associated with enlistment. They tell you about the G.I. Bill, which allows for schooling during or after service. They tell you about V.A. Loans to help you purchase a home. They talk about traveling the world and seeing places you might never otherwise see. All of these things are true, but they do not tell you about the hazards associated with combat and the lasting physical and mental scars it leaves. Their job is to make the military seem like a great employment option, and in many ways, it is. There is a famous but unattributed quote making the rounds: "A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.'" While this is usually praise for enlistees, it should also serve as a warning. Military recruiters do not adequately express the potential harms their enlistees encounter.