Military: Should female soldiers have lower physical standards than males at the cost of unit effectiveness?

Asked by: N711
  • Not lower, just different

I believe male and female soldiers should not be held to the same standards. I do not mean that women are beneath men in any way. However, a female does not equal a male. We have different body shapes, organs, hormone levels, and many other differences. Women should still have the same options and the same chances to advance in rank.

• Women, get in with the men!

It's their own choice on whether they want to get in the army. To be honest, the army is for men! So if women want to get in the army, they should train like men! (Note that this is my opinion, so please don't hate me!) What I mean to say is that if everyone wants to be in the army then they should all train the same! Get what I mean?

• They shouldn't have to meet the same standards!

Women aren't supposed to go around fighting the worlds battles. God made it to where the men make the money while the women clean the house and cook the food, and I'm not saying it's right when men sit back and don't help women clean their house. Men are supposed to do the work while the women sit back in comfort, and I'm not trying to be sexist to either men or women. So yes, I believe that women should not have to meet the same standards as men. Really, I believe they shouldn't even be allowed in the army.

• Women are different then men

Women are not the same as men we don't want to lower the standers just change them. Women have diferent organs the function diferentlly
    and want different jobs. If they want to be in the military and be soldiers fine but they cant meet the same specific requirements as men.

• Yes they should!

Because womans bodies are very different from mens bodies. Some women are serving their country with what they have and some of them can not handle the pressure they are having to do. And the women who do try to meet the physical standards are actually hurting themselves! Let them do what they can handle!

• Hey! What is all the fuss about?

Come on people! What r u talking about?! Women r weaker than men. I'm sorry for bursting your bubble truly. But if women r pampered, then ok... They will likely not do any good in the military. If women even want to go into the military, fine. But just because they r pampered in training doesn't mean that a pakistinian soldier will go easy on her because he would be being a decent gentleman. Absolutely not. I don't understand the big whoop about it all. Hey I wonder why men don't have babies. This argument should be already won.

• Hey! What is all the fuss about?

• Yes of course!

Yes women are made different but it doesn't become less effective. Women are needed in the Military for many different reasons. Especially in the middle east where women are not able to look men in the eyes. The entire group doesn't become less effective it becomes more diverse. If we all have the same standards then we ALLL die!!

• Hi I iz pertater

L l l l l ll l l l l ll l l l l l ll ll l ll ll l ll ll l l lll l l l ll l l l ll l l l l l l ll l l l l l ll l l

• Women are built differently

Their bodies are built differently people! They can't do the same physically. That's not to say that man are superior, or that women are weaker, women just have a different body structure. You can say "if they can't meet the standards they join the military" all you want but it's not that a specific person can't it's just that women as a sex physically can't do 20 pull ups, maybe just 10 or 15 they just are built differently people. The end. End of discussion.

• Women should not be treated differently!

Women who are in the military are fighting for our country. If they aren't tested the same way we can't ensure mission success. If women can't pass the test, why would they want to be in the military in the first place. No matter what, I believe men and women should be physically, mentally, and emotionally ready to accomplish the mission of defending our nation. A standard is a standard. For instance, say women don't have to do pull ups but men do. If we lower the standard for women, we're giving up on equality. If women want to serve our country they should be able to do what everyone else is required to do too.

• Women are just as strong as men.

Women and men are equal in strength and speed if they both work hard and push each other to greater heights. As a woman interested in a military career I do not want to be looked down upon and given special treatment just because I'm a woman. To succeed in anything you do including the military you must have perseverance, without it you may as well just say home and watch TV in your pajamas. Women who have perseverance will constantly try to better themselves to challenge and best men to prove that they can do anything a man can do (sometimes even better).

• Sorry girls, if you can't make the certain requirements then you are no place in the army.

In war their are no rules. Women shouldn't get lower standards because she won't be able to keep up with other male soilders. She will also be fighting against male soilders. It wouldn't be a good idea because if all the standards were lowered they wold all slow us down. So no!

• This is the military, it panders to no one.

If you can do the same requirements a man does, then good for you, you can join the military. If not, the military is not for you. No matter if you are a woman, you must be able to perform the same as the men next to you, or unit effectiveness will fall.

• Women should have to have the same requirements!!1

First of all if women enter the military with dozens of other men, and expect to do as well as them, they shouldn't expect special treatment because they are women. And also if they can't meet those requirements, then they clearly aren't ready to be in combat. Because the enemy is NOT going to care if they are men or women. They just want us out of their way!

• Lowering the standards is a bad idea.

Physical standards for the APFT and other tests should be the same for both men and women. There are plenty of women who kick ass in the military. There are tests in the military that have equal standards for women and men such as the RPFT. The argument that women will be a risk in combat because we're built differently. Not every dude in the military is 6'0 and 200 pounds. I'm 5'6" and 150 pounds but for some reason I will be better combat than a woman. Apparently the difference is that I have a penis and women don't.

• Want Equal Rights, Make Equal Standards

I am a girl and I believe that we should have the same standards as males do. We wanted equal rights, and we got them. So now we have to deal with the responsibilities that come with equal rights. We fought for them, it's out duty to fulfill the equal rights.

Posted by: fru
  • Women can do better

Physiologically there is no evidence, besides anecdotal, that suggest women are incapable of meeting the standards. We see female athletes consistently exceeding military standards everyday (gymnastics anyone?). In addition, it is vital that soldiers meet the standards of physical fitness, regardless of gender. True gender equality implies setting the same standards for both men and women. Setting lower standards for women only undercuts their ability to find true gender equality. Therefore, since women are capable, and being a soldier requires it, the same standards should be set for all.

• I think not,

Females and males should be treated the same, no matter where, and females should be treated with EQUALITY therefor they should be at the same rank. They are also human beings fighting for their rights......So now many peeps here would understand this thinggg and that same rank is needed for humans and womens

• Absolutely not in this country.

When one lowers the standards for a specific group, the entirety of groups become less effective. If we lower the standards for women, we are saying that their failures in their physical ability is worth the life of someone else in the same line of duty. However, if everyone is held to the same standard, we are much more able to count on each other when the time comes to the harsh work in the military.