• Target Audience; Target locked

The target audience of the show is undoubtedly girls. The heavy gender imbalance, themes, colors, and plot all point towards an audience of girls. Does this mean that it doesn't have themes, characters, plots, aesthetics, etc. that cannot or should not be appreciated by boys or adults? Absolutely not. But it was created for ("meant" for) that demographic.

• Yes, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was initially intended for little girls.

If you go Google "Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony" you will come across a webpage that talks about this documentary of MLP:FiM and it has a quote that says, "One would be hard-pressed to find a cultural sensation as unique and as unexpected as Bronies. Why are these grown men and women attracted to a cartoon intended for little girls? And why are they willing to brave society’s ridicule for their love of the show?" It proves through this quote from the documentary produced by the talented Lauren Frost herself that MLP:FiM was created for little girls. It is more multi-gender orientated now, but that's a different topic.

• They are for girls

They are j j j j j j jj j jj j jj j j j jj j j ju u uu u u u uu u us s s s s s s s st t t tt t t girly j j j jj j j j j

• Yes, but that should not matter

In the end who really decides what is acceptable to watch at each age group? No one but you should decide. Shows like Regular Show and Adventure time are meat for kids, but are watched by adults like myself (24yrs old). Shows like MLP are attractive to an older audience because of the typically complex plot lines and scenarios faced by the main characters. I believe if the characters were changed with people the show would be shined into a new light and would be more accepted. In the end you should do what you want and watch what you want without worrying about what other people will say or think. If you are a bronie go ahead and embrace what makes you you.

• I guess, but does it matter?

The counter against "the bronies" is quite hilarious to me. Its people outside the target audience, who find the stories and characters endearing, engaging, likable, and so on... And some find this to be an outrageous thing, because it was "made for girls".
    Things often fall into place, not always where predicted, but in place non the less. Why this matters, is beyond me.

• Cus it's the trarget audience.

And of course girls are the target audience for MLP. Naturally, we all( or most of us here) feel that ponies and barbie dolls are for girls, while guns and football and wrestling are meant for boys.
    There is really no argument about this. The target audience is obviously for female.

• ActualAudience /= IntendedAudience

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic was undoubtedly intended to be viewed by young girls, and that has been stated by the creator of the show multiple times. There is also no doubt that the show is likely watched more by people who weren't part of the intended audience, but that doesn't change who the show was intended for. There's really no argument to be had here.

• My Little Pony MFG NO!

ITS NOOOOOT! I'M A BRONY! They fight a dragon and strange monsters clearly not meant JUST for girls . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Gender rolls are not set in stone

It's ridiculous to assume a show is "for" girls simply because it has sparkles, magic and friendship.

Harry Potter had magic, the magic had sparkles and the entire book series is about friendship. It is not "just" for girls.

The color pink isn't "just" for girls, and it is a product of sexism that we dress little girls in pink and little boys in blue.

Colors and children's show themes are not "just" for any gender, because human beings define what it means to be a male or female.

None of it is intrinsic, save for the biological imperatives individuals feel, and those are just as flexible according to the individual.

My wife loves MLP, and it's a cute show. I would let my kids watch it. I would watch it with them. There is nothing in the show which would turn a boy into a girl.

It's not 'for' anyone but kids who enjoy a fun, smart and well animated/voiced cartoon which explores themes ALL children would identify with.

• Brony brony brony

H h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h