Naval Warfare Movies: Does Das Boot accurately depict the life on a U-boat during WWII

• Yes, I think so.

Das Boot has been celebrated for capturing the stomach churning reality of life on a submarine during the Second World War. It's a Hollywood movie, so there will be some deviation from reality. There will be some artistic license to make changes for the benefit of the story. But overall, I think the depiction is fairly close to what it was really like.

• Yes, as accurately as a movie can.

Yes, Das Boot does depict life on a U-boat during WWII as accurately as a movie in the entertainment industry can. It's not a documentary. It's a Hollywood movie, so there will be some deviation from reality. There will be some artistic license to make changes for the benefit of the story. But overall, I think the depiction is fairly close to what it was really like.

• The film is unromantic and realistic

Das Boot has been celebrated for capturing the stomach churning reality of life on a submarine during the Second World War. The cinematic techniques enhance the anxiety and the claustrophobia of this life and the script and the plot emphasise the dangerous nature of the job and the lack of glamour in warfare.

• No, it iss too romanticized

In my view, the movie Das Boot does not realistically depict life on a U-boat because the movie's producers were more interested in creating an exotic, captivating atmosphere for the viewers than they were in accurately replicating historical facts. The reality of life on a U-boat was likely far less interesting and far less likely to keep an audience interested.