NBA's Jason Collins comes out as gay. Will it hurt his career?

• i think so

I believe it will. Some people are highly against gays, and if some of those people are his fans, and those fans go to games, then they will more than likely try to do anything to make him not do his best. They will try to distract him, call him names. They will do whatever they believe will get the job done to make him suck.

• Is it will hurt his career, should it? No, but it will.

Even though we are ever more and more accepting of gays, lesbians, and transgender people there is still a certain "stigma" about it. I worry that many people will think, "Oh he's just playing basketball with those guys so he can get close to them and touch them." Not unlike the same reason hetero people go dancing- to get close and touch the other gender.
    Overall, yes, I think it will affect his career and his opportunities, but the real question is, Why does it matter?

• No I don't believe that Jason Collins' coming out as gay will hurt his career

I believe that it is ok that he came out as gay but this will not hurt his career because there's other people that are gay and play sports like Wade Davis. People that are gay should be appreciated and not disrespected in the world that God made for us

• Collins coming out is going to help him and he knows it

Why would you wait, so many years to come out. And here's another point, FEW teams even THOUGHt THE NAME Jason Collins when thinking of free agents before he even came out. Now Jason Collins is the most popular free agent. Everyone knows his name now, and I do think this act COULD not does, but very well could, have a publicity act behind it. And it worked very well for him.

• No, he will improve greatly.

The NBA only lets males play in the league, and having a homosexual will be a great asset to your team. Nobody will want to box him out in fear of getting the "D". Coaches will want him on their teams because he will be a monster on the boards. Coaches will be willing to pay more for a the best rebounder in the league rather than a regular player. He will make more money than a heterosexual because he will be a beast on the glass, and he will go somewhere else for more money, as most stingy NBA players do. That is my argument.

• No way jose!

His career will not be affected, in fact, in might even boost his career. This will bring more publicity to him and his basketball team, which would then improve his career. This is what's sad about professional sports nowadays, it's not about the game anymore, it's about the player's image. Even if most of his fans were homophobic, the spotlight is already shining on him and his team.

• No, Jason Collins' career will thrive after his announcement.

Jason Collins said he has gotten incredible support since coming out as gay. Because he is now free to be true to himself he will feel a weight lifted from his shoulders and will be able to play better than ever. His announcement may even lead to off-the-court advantages such as a book deal or sponsorships.

• No, I don't believe Jason Collins' coming out as gay will hurt his career

No, I don't believe Jason Collins' coming out as gay will hurt his career. I think it will create more tolerance in the world of sports toward gay athletes. There is more and more acceptance of gays and lesbians in the world today. I think whatever happens in people's private life should not be held against them and their chosen career.

• No, I don't believe Jason Collins' coming out as gay will hurt his career.