New Jersey to become first state to send new parents home with baby boxes: Should all state adopt programs to improve infant mortality rates?

• Baby boxes are a great idea!

I know that Finland does this and I'm happy that New Jersey is following suit. When I came home with my daughter, we were terribly unprepared and my family was of little help. I would gladly pay more taxes if every mother gets to go home with her baby prepared for everything a newborn entails.

• Yes, it would be a good idea for all states to adopt programs such as New Jersey's baby boxes for new parents.

Yes, it would be a good idea for all states to adopt programs such as New Jersey's baby boxes for new parents. Being a new parent is a scary proposition. No matter how prepared a couple may think they are, the moment you realize you are taking this baby home with you and you are now responsible for the baby's entire life, there is a huge moment of shock and fear. Anything that can be done to assist new parents would be a positive step.

• States should adopt programs to improve infant mortality rates.

States should adopt programs to improve infant mortality rates. This would curb costs to hospitals and many other costs associated with infant mortality. The government has already required many protections for infants. New technology and more advancements will ensure greater survival rates for some of the most vulnerable citizens in the country.

• They work in other places.

New Jersey knows what Finland and the rest of the world already knows. These baby boxes work. All mothers should have them because they make it easy for the mother to care for a new baby. The new baby has a safe place to sleep until it is old enough to sleep somewhere else.