New tax on soda in Berkeley: Is the higher expense enough to deter people from drinking unhealthy amounts of the sugary drink?

• I do think it will help people from drinking unhealthy drinks!

I currently have started to lose weight and it wasn't long after that I realized half the calories I was consuming were coming from what I was drinking, soda. Hence why I think its a good idea to tax soda and anything unhealthy! I definitely wouldn't have bought all that soda if it was more expensive then buying bottled water!

• No, the higher expense is not enough to deter people from drinking unhealthy amounts of the sugary drink

No, the higher expense is not enough to deter people from drinking unhealthy amounts of the sugary drink. People will continue to drink the products, they will just complain about the cost, or find cheaper alternative ways of aquiring it. If prohibition taught us anything, its that people will always find a way.

• Demand for sugary drinks probably inelastic

Those who consume vast quantities of sugary drinks have already been undeterred by countless news stories, articles, and medical researchers, and continue to engage in obviously destructive habits. It is unlikely that an extra tax will discourage them to the point of giving up. The additional tax should hopefully be used instead to offset the medical costs of sugar over-consumers.

• No, I dont think this will deter people

No, I dont think a higher expense is enough to deter people from drinking unhealthy amounts of sugary drink. These sugary items are made to make us crave them, and we do. And when we do crave them we will pretty much pay any amounts to have them with us.