No evidence of actual aloe vera found in store brand products advertised as aloe vera: Are consumers protected from fraud as much as they believe?

• I'm shocked that there is no aloe vera.

I used store bought aloe vera gel as a hair conditioner for years. What in the world was I putting on my hair? Given that I was the victim of a fraud in this case, there is nothing I can do. I neither have the old receipts or the empty product bottles. I can't even carry a mini testing lab around to prevent this issue from happening again.

• A lot is hidden from cosumers.

I do not think that consumers are as protected from fraud as they should be. Looking at ingredient lists, it has become more and more apparent that companies are hiding ingredients or falsifying claims of absent ingredients. I think harsher regulations need to be put into place so that consumers are not blindsided by large corporations pushing products that bear false claims.

• In whom do consumers trust?

Why should we believe that corporate marketing and indifferent, underfunded government agencies are protecting consumers from fraud? The original mission of the industrialist - making the highest quality good possible at the lowest cost possible while paying the highest wage possible has been corrupted into a ceaseless drive for profit, honesty, ethics and reality notwithstanding.

• No government watchdog for aloe products

Many consumers believe that anything they purchase in a well established chain store is going to be properly labeled and accurately described. However, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration doesn’t approve cosmetics before they’re sold and has never fined a company for selling fake aloe vera products. Suppliers are left to their own honor system and integrity.