Number of young people living with parents hits record high: Is the cost of living too high for many young people to support themselves?

• Yes, the cost of living is too high for many young people.

Yes, the cost of living is too high for many young people; which means a lot of young Americans must move back in with their parents. The high cost of college, along with expensive rent and health insurance, make it especially difficult for young people to make it on their own.

• Yes,the cost of living is too high for many young people to support themselves.

Many young people have left university with a Bachelors degree but have to face a very competitive job market. They cannot afford to live by themselves. Also, since more people are living with their parents, some might think it is easier to live with their parents then pay for their own flat and that it will be less of a social stigma.

• I'm ashamed to say that my parents help me out too.

I don't know what happened. I was working full time and then I fell sick, lost my job and now I don't make what I used to. My parents help me out a lot and it wasn't meant to be this way. I was supposed to help them. I take solace in the fact that I am not alone in this twisted situation but I do hope the next generation lands on their feet instead of stumbling like me.

• The cost of living is too high for young people to live alone.

The cost of living is too high for young people to live alone. Our society is currently set up to operate on a two income household. Especially in larger cities, the cost of living is high. At the very least a young person would need to have roommates, and in some case simply live at home with a supportive family, until they truly establish themselves.