Obama bans solitary confinement for juveniles: Should solitary confinement be banned for adults?

• Solitary Confinement has been compared to torture.

There are multiple uses for solitary confinement in the US, and only one of them, the kind where exceptionally violent people are held in a separate facility from other convicts. The other uses, including punishment for convicts who got into small fights and the other for people who have mental issues but are just branded as violent. People who need help are held in supermax and SHU facilities, left to spend almost every waking hour alone, in a barely large enough cell. Some prisoners come out violent, not integrated into a social situation (aka a normal prison) before being released into the public. Others become depressed, and those who come out unscathed are rarely reformed. I will admit that there are SOME situations where solitary confinement is an appropriate way to hold convicts. But most who are held in solitary are innocent, or have mental issues that need to be addressed, not ignored. To end, here's a quote about solitary confinement from the author Charles DIckens."The system here is rigid, strict and hopeless solitary confinement. I believe it ... To be cruel and wrong. I hold this slow and daily tampering with the mysteries of the brain, to be immeasurably worse than any torture of the body."