Ortega-Hernandez sentence: Should the type of assault rifle used by Ortega-Hernandez in his assassination attempt be banned in the United States?

• Yes it should

What Ortega-Hernandez used in his assassination attempt should be banned in America. We don't need these powerful rifles like this. They promote rapid firing and promote a killing people. This is what our Government wants they want to kill of their own people so this is why they allow this to happen.

• It Once Was

The assault rifle used by Ortega-Hernandez was once illegal in this country, if I'm not mistaken. The legislation came up during the Bush administration and Bush elected not to renew it. The short answer is the fact that this type of assault rifle should be banned and it once was, but now that people have them, it's going to be ten times harder to get rid of them again.

• The type of rifle use by Mr. Ortega-Hernandez in his attack on the White House should not be banned.

The PSL-54C, Romak III, FPK, FPK Dragunov (aka SSG-97) used by rtega-Hernandez in his attack on the White House is not an "assault rifle." It is a US assembled sporting gun made from legally imported Romanian parts. It cannot be modified to fire full auto and meets all the standards for US manufactured weapons. Ban this gun and you'd have to ban most, if not all, US made rifles.

• No, I don't think the assualt rifle used by Orega-Hernandez in his assassination attempt should be banned.

I don't believe the answer to an event like a assassination attempt should be to ban the gun used in the attempt, it punishes people who own the gun for lawful purposes that have done nothing wrong, I believe there are much better ways to prevent future assassination attempts in the future.