Parental consent for underage abortions: Should parental consent be required for underage pregnant women to have abortions?

• Parental consent should be required for underage pregnant women to have abortions.

Parental consent should be required for underage pregnant women to have abortions. I believe the lack of communication between parent and teen is what leads to teen pregnancy to begin with. However, if a teen had to get support and consent before having an abortion, I think this would lead to less underage pregnancies to begin with.

• No. Not at all.

Just put it this way ... Minors hide pregnancys all the time. We hear about it so much in the news, just recently a girl carried her baby to term and birthed the baby in the house w/o anyone knowing and ended up cutting the baby's umbilical cord to close and the baby bled out and died and the girl buried the baby in her backyard. My point is if a minor is determined on having an abortion she will whether it's one done in a clinic or having a back-alley abortion done which is far more dangerous than letting her get it done in a clinic.

• This is a horrible abuse of power

If a teen can tell their parent about a pregnancy safely, they will. If they can't then the child must resort to either some fairly unhealthy and scary tactics, or go to court. Being 16 and navigating the court system is daunting, and many will resort to scary things. You cannot force a healthy parent-child relationship on anyone.

In addition, at my pediatricians office parents are locked out of their child's medical records after a certain age. My child can go to the doctor and discuss anything from condoms to allergies without my knowledge. But suddenly discussing an abortion and I must be brought in? It makes no sense to single out this one medical procedure.

• The worst idea ever.

Requiring parental consent for abortions is nothing other than a shaming tactic developed by overly religious men who think that doing this will curb teenage sexual activity. It doesn't work. What it does is force young women to see unsafe methods of abortion that are potentially fatal. Some things parents just do not need to know about.