Patenting of genetically modified seeds and plants: Should companies be allowed to patent genetically modified seeds for food crops?

• Penis master 21

Lol sex hehehehehehehehehehe hehehe he h he he he he he h eh ehe hehe he h ehe h ehe hehe he he he he he he he he he he he he he he h ehe he he he he he h ehe he he he h ehe h

• If they produced the alteration they should be able to keep it

Yes, I believe that companies that genetically alter seeds for crops should be able to patent their creation, it is in fact theirs. When a pharmaceutical company produces a new drug they are allow to keep their rights for the most part, then generic brands began to sprout. This right should be given to those that produce genetically altered seeds as well.

• Yes they should.

Companies should be allowed to put a patent on genetically modified seeds for food crops. They are the ones who spent all of the money and resources on the research and development on the modified seed, so they should be able to make a profit off of what they made.

• So Problems Can Be Traced Back

I believe it is important to note which companies come up with genetically modified seeds, so if there is a problem with them in the future, we know which way to point the finger. I believe allowing or requiring patents for these types of foods would ensure that parties would be held responsible, if it is found that these foods are some how harmful.

• No it's not theirs

Patenting of g m seeds and plants should not be allowed because the seed has been made by nature. They should not be able to sue farmers if their gm crops have blown into their fields or if "traces" have been found. It's not the farmers' fault that nature has cross-pollinated or cross-contaminated their feilds

• No. I do not believe companies should be allowed to patent genetically modified seeds for food crops.

No. I do not believe companies should be allowed to patent genetically modified seeds for food crops, because genetically modified seeds will produce genetically modified food, and genetically modified food will produce genetically modified humans. Which is simply not worth the risk, who knows what kind of affect something like that can have on the human body.

• Problem with patents

There are many analogues to the creation of GMOs that are allowed to be patented and, while this may be the case, the problem is more with the patent system already in place than with the validity of the patent. GMOs are important, but the process of producing, rather than the code itself, is the innovation.

• I think that companies should not be allowed to patent genetically modified seeds for food crops.

I think that companies should not be allowed to patent
    genetically modified seeds for food crops.
    How can a company patent something that God created? The company changes one little gene and they
    get to patent the entire organism?
    No. I think that this is a very
    bad idea, and it will make us head in the wrong direction.

• Companies dont own a crop

Humans have been crossbreeding plants for thousands of years. Why is it only now that someone has the idea that is the equivalent to copyrighting the word "the?" It does not seem right for a company to have a near monopoly on certain crops. It harms small farmers by limiting the seed types they have to choose from. Seed diversity is very important to ecosystems, and could lead to potential disruptions in the food chain in the future if a particular strain fails one year.