People are upset with the casting of a black actress to play Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. What do you think?

Asked by: SegBeg
  • Why does it matter?

Hermione Granger is not depicted as being white in the books, and this play is a sequel to the books, not movies. JK Rowling said she loves black Hermione. I think Hermione should be played as the actress who best suites the character's personality. Plus, are you all so racist that you can't stand to have a change in the skin color of a fictional character in a magical world? Like SegBeg said, let's not judge by race, but by her skill playing the role!

• I don't care what race she is.

JK Rowling never specified Hermione's race in the books. She is just described as having frizzy hair, buck teeth, brown eyes and being clever. Skin colour was never even hinted. Though I'm pretty sure that JK Rowling subconsciously depicted Hermione as being white when she first wrote the books, that doesn't mean Hermione cannot be non-white. She could have been white, black, Hispanic, Asian, Arab, etc. It really doesn't matter. Even is Hermione was depicted as white in the books, changing the race of her in a film or play still wouldn't matter because her ethnicity is so insignificant that it will not change the plot at all. So quite frankly, I think it's ridiculous to think that it it is ridiculous to cast a non-white actress as Hermione. I mean you're entitled to your own opinion and all. If you don't like black Hermione, fine but it is stupid to say that it is inconsistent with the film. The films are irrelevant. The films and the play are two completely different franchises. Let's not judge on race but on character- like Martin Luther King jr once said!

• Down with political correctness.

It's already too late to change what the Harry Potter canon has already established. In the books, it is described as “lots of bushy brown hair, and rather large front teeth.” It is completely not racist to say, that typically black people do not have "bushy brown hair" although it wouldn't be impossible. In some artwork made BY J.K ROWLING, it depicts Hermione being white aswell(http://holykaw.Alltop.Com/harry-potter-characters-drawn-by-jk-rowling-i). I understand diversity and all, but that doesn't mean you have to change the already existing characters. If you so desperately need diversity, make NEW characters.

• No. No. No!!!!

HERMIONE GRANGER IS A WHITE PERSON IN ALL 8 MOVIES AND TO HAVE A BLACK PERSON REPLACE HER PEOPLE WOULD BE LIKE, "OMG! What is going on. Something here is off." AND I'M A HARDCORE HARRY POTTER FAN SO I'M LIKE GONNA FLIP OUT. Call me racist but it's my opinion.

• This is a sequel,

Not a remake. In a remake, you can make just about any changes you wish even if it is not consistent with the author as long as you have some kind of consent by the person with copyrights. One example of this is the remake of Annie were the lead role was a black girl instead of a white one.
    The issue is, this is a sequel to the others that already exist. Because it is part of an existing story, changes such as this would be confusing in the least. For instance, when they made the prequel to the Star Wars movies, if they had used a black actor for Obi wan, or even if they used one for Anakin (Darth Vader) in the the second prequel, it would have caused confusion for the audience. Basically it would be like switching actors in the middle of a film.
    Another factor is that even if no specific race was mentioned in the book series it'self, she has appeared on many of the covers and illustrations as being white.
    In the end, I think it would benefit the production if they remained consistent. Any changes such as this would create confusion and be a distraction from the intended production.

• I would usually be fine with this, but...

She has already been depicted in the original film series as a white western european female (which makes sense for the setting). I understand them wanting to include diversity in their major character casting, but they also need to keep with the earlier films in order to avoid confusion and maintain the existing cannon.

• No. No. No!!

• A b c

A b c d e f g h I j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z a b c d e f g h I j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x