Pet Rescue: Will New California Law Prevent More Animals from Dying in Hot Vehicles?

• Yes, some dog owners are really irresponsible

Yes, I agree since I have seen many dog owners closing their car windows while leaving a dog inside on a hot day. That is just irresponsible - animals should never be left alone in a car. It is the same thing as leaving a child trapped in a car, just unacceptable.

• Yes, the new law should prevent some animals dying.

Although it may be abused, the new law should prevent some animals who would have otherwise died in a hot vehicle. An animal is helpless when left in a hot vehicle, anybody should be able to help them when they need it. This new law should help animals and hopefully people will think twice before leaving their pets.

• Yes, I agree.

"Hot car” laws are becoming increasingly more prevalent, with six enacted in just the last two years and two more pending. In states without hot car laws, perpetrators may still be prosecuted under the general anti-cruelty laws. In Lopez v. State , the defendant left his dog in his car on a hot day to go and watch a movie in a theater. Though Texas does not have a “hot car” law, he was ultimately convicted under the state’s anti-cruelty law.

• This law will generate awareness about the dangers of leaving animals in hot vehicles.

I think that this new California law will help to prevent more animals from dying in hot vehicles. By enacting a law, the government can draw attention to the severity of the issue, and make people more conscious about the extreme dangers that animals face when contained in hot vehicles for periods of time.