Pre-selecting sex of children: Can gender choice avoid a slippery slope to designer babies?

• Gender choice avoid a slippery slope

I think that being able to choose what the gender of your child will make people very happy. I think that a lot of people would have children and the sex that they want because some people don't like surprises. I think that people should not be so shallow and allow god to do his works.

• What you see is what you get!

It's okay to be disappointed with the gender of your baby but this whole "designer baby" thing disturbs me. Children are human beings and deserve to be treated like one- not like some commodity. They are not your property that you can decide on what they will look like or who they will be. They have a mind an will of their own and it should not be oppressed just because you were too selfish to acknowledge that.

• Be Happy With What You Get

Gender choice is a big mistake, and designer babies are even crazier. If we really want a screwed up world, that's all we have to do is start idiocity like this. China is already in trouble with only 850 boys to 100 girls. Does that mean that the extra males will have to leave the country to find a wife? Probably so.

• Why would you?

Even if you could select the sex, what difference would that make to the way the child looks or what traits that child had. The point of a designer baby is to get the characteristics you want in a baby and not whether they are male or female. Making a designer baby might include selecting gender, but I don't think being able to select the gender would change wanting a designer baby

• Why would you?

• The price makes it seem like it is an idea for the rich

The lowest cost is way more than most people can afford and will it tear a family apart that has already had a child or two that weren't exactly what their parents wanted? How can we let some people do that to their kids is it really worth the costs of loosing your kids that you have already had and the price of getting it just the way you want it . How selfish can people get?

• Designer Babies Aren't Gender Specific

Even if you could select the sex, what difference would that make to the way the child looks or what traits that child had. The point of a designer baby is to get the characteristics you want in a baby and not whether they are male or female. Making a designer baby might include selecting gender, but I don't think being able to select the gender would change wanting a designer baby.